[SPOILERS] Discovery Season 2 Episode 7: Light and Shadows
  • Talos IV was an interesting twist\
  • Looks like we're seeing the Talosians in the next episode
  • Like the new talosian look
  • Seems like they're starting to use stamet's network affinity as a MacGuffin device
  • As usual I love to see any fighting done by michelle yeoh
  • I wish they would stop cutting so much during fight scenes.  It makes it hard to keep track of what's going on
  • I feel like the "Leland is responsible for Burnham's parents death" bit is a bit much, more like a small world scenario than i'm comfortable with.
  • Definitely feeling that control is more of what was described in the novels, which makes me very happy
  • Is georgiou calling the shots now? really didn't leave that with very much definition either way
  • Is Ariam going to become Zora? We know that the Zora voice actor has been billed starting on episode 9 of this season.
  • I like that pike is becoming more humble and Ash is getting off his paranoia high
  • Sarek's acting was superb in the "almost but not quite losing emotional control" bit
  • is it just me or did they jump from the red angel being humanoid to it being human in between episodes?
Solid episode.  4/5 for me
[Image: 9jilqcf.gif]
The final scene ruined the entire episode for me. 749 mark 148??????? I hate writers, who do not have the slightest idea how Navigation in Star Trek works. Even if we consider the idiotic 400° planes used in TOS, this is still bullshit!!! It's 360 degress on the horizontal plane and 360 degrees on the vertical one! HOW CAN THERE BE A HEADING OF 749 DEGREES THEN???

Also TALOS IV?????????? The Enterprise (with Spock onboard) visited that planet two years before Discovery started. If Discovery takes place in the prime time line, then it means that General Order 7 apllies. No one, under no circumstances (not even emergencies), is to visit Talos IV under the threat of capital punishment! The Shuttles computer should have been aware of that and at least issued a warning. WTF!?!?!

Since the above mentioned course is from a very specific place at an even more specific time (consider galactic rotation, etc.), Spock's brain must be in some sort of temporal flux to be aware of those exact numbers (even if they were reversed). So, they better clear that up somewhat logically. Otherwise, I'll get very disappointed with this otherwise excellent Season 2 so far.

Sorry for the rant, but as a former Navigator this really upsets me.
um, discovery was always set before TOS, not after... as far as i know the timeline during discovery never changed to make it go past the timeline of TOS... discovery is set a decade before TOS (according to various CBS websites)

that doesn't mean it is set in the "prime timeline" just means that's where it is as far as actual dates.
(03-01-2019, 07:37 PM)DarkoMG Wrote: um, discovery was always set before TOS, not after... as far as i know the timeline during discovery never changed to make it go past the timeline of TOS... discovery is set a decade before TOS (according to various CBS websites)
You are correct. Discovery starts a decade before TOS. However the original TOS pilot ("The Cage") takes place in 2254. So the precedence is set and we risk a major continuity error now.
I can actually point out where they found those numbers.
https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/exte...height=671 
This was in a tabletop RPG from the 80s.  As you can see, it gives a set of coordinates for talos IV that match the numbers given on screen.  However there are still problems with this: 1) the writers used heading and mark, which is not viable for coordinates, and 2) even if those coordinates are right, the planet could be anywhere along the up/down axis at that point, however the computer *could* probably correct for that.

I do not have any explanation for why general order 7 got forgotten by both burnham and the shuttle computer, and that makes me more than a bit 
irritated as well.

EDIT: As a reminder, the full text of general order 7, which we HAVE seen on screen before, specifically states that it was the opinion of Pike and "Half Vulcan Science Officer Spock" (racist much?) that the planet should be quarantined.  It furthermore states that the only "earthship" (sic) to have visited Talos IV is the Enterprise.
[Image: 9jilqcf.gif]