STO Academy Armada - Revamp
(02-06-2019, 03:17 PM)roninuta Wrote: Quick question, are the commendations earned currently going away? That is to say, will my current ribbons change?

That's correct. The new awards are replacing the old commendations, meaning the ribbons will be going away too and replaced with something new.

ok that makes more sense, I'm not sure why I had it in my head that the legacy ones were staying.
I like all of these changes and I think it will help consolidate our efforts towards one set of holdings at first, not to mention drive more engagement.

Just another thought here:

Now that members are going to join the Discord server, how about dropping the weekly in-game fleet mails and shift that to the Discord server?

You could set up an "Announcements" text channel, in which only the Admiralty can write, but the rest can read only. That way, you can reach everyone (even on their phones, if the app is installed) and would not suffer from the ingame limitations like full mail boxes etc.

Minimum effort needed, but maximum effect achieved.
(02-08-2019, 07:20 PM)Parakema Wrote: Just another thought here:

Now that members are going to join the Discord server, how about dropping the weekly in-game fleet mails and shift that to the Discord server?

You could set up an "Announcements" text channel, in which only the Admiralty can write, but the rest can read only. That way, you can reach everyone (even on their phones, if the app is installed) and would not suffer from the ingame limitations like full mail boxes etc.

No guarantee people will see it lol I'd still rather send it through the game. However I do plan on getting the weekly message out through multiple avenues, Discord would probably be one of them.

(02-08-2019, 07:20 PM)Parakema Wrote: Just another thought here:

I agree with Attilio, everyone joining is entirely subjective.

We can and will certainly make more use of the platform for that purpose though

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk
The only problem with Discord for annoucements is we need a separate channel for that kind of stuff, so it doesn't get bogged down with a lot of people chatting in the general fleet chat channel. If we could separate those kind of things out that would be good.

Yeah we can. I can create another chat just for announcements

(02-08-2019, 07:36 PM)Attilio Wrote: No guarantee people will see it lol I'd still rather send it through the game. However I do plan on getting the weekly message out through multiple avenues, Discord would probably be one of them.
Well, as indicated by this thread there is no guarantee that people will see the ingame mails either. Wink

Honestly, why cling to the ingame mails? They are inefficient. They can only be send once in 24 hours. That's very inconvenient, if corrections need to be made. The message length is to limited and you can't embed other media in it. Most importantly, you need to log into the game to read them. Very casual players might not get important information in time then.

Well, I guess that's why you said "multiple avenues", right? But what would that they be? Continuing use of ingame mails, mass e-mail on the forums, what?

Why complicate things? Seriously, what's the point of having fleet members join Discord, if its possibilities are not used? Every fleet member can use Discord either on their computer or mobile device and let themselves be notified accordingly.

Fleet members (who want to keep in the loop) would check Discord for fleet updates. Those who don't want to, well they will not care about them whatever the medium they are transported in.
(02-09-2019, 11:24 AM)Parakema Wrote: Well, as indicated by this thread there is no guarantee that people will see the ingame mails either. Wink

Honestly, why cling to the ingame mails? They are inefficient. They can only be send once in 24 hours. That's very inconvenient, if corrections need to be made. The message length is to limited and you can't embed other media in it. Most importantly, you need to log into the game to read them. Very casual players might not get important information in time then.

Well, I guess that's why you said "multiple avenues", right? But what would that they be? Continuing use of ingame mails, mass e-mail on the forums, what?

Why complicate things? Seriously, what's the point of having fleet members join Discord, if its possibilities are not used? Every fleet member can use Discord either on their computer or mobile device and let themselves be notified accordingly.

Fleet members (who want to keep in the loop) would check Discord for fleet updates. Those who don't want to, well they will not care about them whatever the medium they are transported in.

That's true, there is no guarantee. Realistically, there is no guarantee of any of it really.

However, that really isn't the point. And just because there is no guarantee doesn't mean we should not make any effort at all.

Yes, ingame mails are a pain for all the reasons you state, but it is still doing no harm to use them and is still as much an applicable facility of communication as it has been.

Some people can't/won't clear out their inboxes. That's ok. We'll still do our job and try to engage with them via other means when and where we can.

This really isn't complicated at all, and is no trouble for us to do. We will still use discord as much as we can on top of what we already do and what we will try to do going forward.

So yes, multiple avenues - Forums, Ingame mail, discord, Motd...I'm sure if others open up to us these can be considered also.

There is always a point in using all these platforms. If someone doesn't want to use discord, that's up to them. No big deal and I won't lose any sleep over it.

We'll still do what we can on all levels. The point is, it's our job.