STO Academy Armada - Revamp
Hailing the STO Academy Armada and all interested parties,
As we gear up for Star Trek Online's 9th birthday, we also gear up for something arguably more important - our fleet's birthday!

On the run up to this, we have been taken a hard look at our administration of the fleet, and it is clear changes have to, and should be made.
The STO Academy, like the game, has changed and evolved vastly over the years. We are pleased to announce that we are taking steps to revamp the fleet.

The details can be found in this document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lJ5H...sp=sharing

Should you have any questions feel free to post below, or tag us on discord @Admiralty and we'll get back to you.

Feedback is welcome and encouraged, and we hope you like what we have come up with!

Thus far we have no implementation date. As before this is open for debate. We want to find what works for our new, current, and aspiring members alike to create the best fleet in Star Trek Online!

We understand this is no mean feat, but this is work we are happy to do. We will communicate an implementation date once we are satisfied we have obtained enough feedback and settled.

Thank you
I sum it up with just one word. Finally!

I do have some remarks though:
  • Research Lab Boost: The change to constantly running the Combat boost is honestly way overdue and therefore very much appreciated. I do not see the need for special 8k events, though. Even three years ago, there were already enough opportunities in place to get those quickly. Nowadays, with the special rewards for doing random TFOs, it is even less of a problem. Besides, you can get easily 3-5k Dilithium Ore daily from DOFFing alone and doing the New Romulus Staging Area (5 minutes tops) for the first time on a day grants 1k Dilithium Ore.
  • Expedition Ribbons: I think that is a good idea. There are several episodes that are worth a replay for the career-specific accolades alone. However, the more players do this together, the higher the Space NPCs will scale. This can make replaying episodes timeconsuming. Therefore I recommend to reconsider the levels and change the requirements from 1/5/10 episodes to 1/3/5 episodes.
  • Task Force Ribbons: Awesome, but there is a tiny issue. Correct me, if I am wrong, but the current Queue UI requires to either have a full previously assembled team or to invite people until the team is full. The TFO will not start until the requirements are met and it also will not fill the team up with random players like it was possible in the past. Having said this, a screenshot of the private room prior to TFO start does not make sense to me. Isn't just one screenshot at the successful completion with a list of the remaining STOA members on the map enough? Isn't that how it is done now?
  • Commander rank perks: This is dangerous. Do you really intend do allow newly joined members instant access to the Fleet stores? This is just an invitation to have our Stores robbed clean. I strongly urge you to reconsider this.
Thanks for the feedback TP.

1. Albeit you are correct, 8k dilithium events will be beneficial for members and players who are still easing in to the overall concept of TFO's and team based playing. Everyone will do this in different ways, so it is important we look for alternatives and have these sorts of events even if it means it's a break from the usual run of the mill TFO grind!

2. Higher the risk, the bigger the reward? Wink. Wouldn't be the worst change in the world however we still want there to be some "challenge" with the awards. 1/5/10 would adequately provide this.

3. Point taken. We are trying to improve how we confirm these for 100% legitimacy and reduce errors in decision making. Since it takes the press of one button to take a screenshot, operationally this should not impact too much, and making sure players get the right awards is important to you and us equally. We can still look at this though

4. This was a consideration in that process and you can be assured it was not made lightly. However with the resources that the fleets have and the length of time they have been building up for, we feel that being "raided" per say as a risk is very low. We have never seen someone wait 2 weeks to throw money at the stores either and clean us out, so we are confident the impact of this will be minimal. If we are wrong, then so be it! And we'll change the policy accordingly Smile
I would like to add my voice to Parakemas regarding the TFO queues, I have regularly attempted to get groups to run through TFOs, and allowing a screenshot of the remaining STOA members at the end of a run would allow these to be run much easier.

Whilst I appreciate that these are supposed to be a challenge to complete, I feel the challenge should be in the completion, and not the undertaking.

Otherwise this looks to be a very thorough, and comprehensive update to our structure!

(01-23-2019, 12:47 PM)Belgevain Wrote: I would like to add my voice to Parakemas regarding the TFO queues, I have regularly attempted to get groups to run through TFOs, and allowing a screenshot of the remaining STOA members at the end of a run would allow these to be run much easier.

Whilst I appreciate that these are supposed to be a challenge to complete, I feel the challenge should be in the completion, and not the undertaking.

Otherwise this looks to be a very thorough, and comprehensive update to our structure!

Thanks for the feedback Belgevain.

With regards to the challenge aspect, do you mean the TFO's, or the episodes?
Thanks to both of you pointing it out. Yes the screenshot at the end of episode or TFO should be taken to show completion as well as the list of team members in the "Team" window. The description in the commendation is a mistake on my part.

As for the TFOs, you need a minimum of three fleet members (you and 2 others) which means the other two people can either be random pugs or members from the other Armada fleets.

FYI I just updated the OP with a link to a nicely formatted document for all to read. Sorry we didn't get the link up sooner.

Can I also add, that there are a number of channels you can invite additional players from to make up numbers. In most cases you should hopefully fill up from the fleet - but as we know at certain times that is not always possible. So this has been added to make things a bit fairer.
(01-23-2019, 01:17 PM)James Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Belgevain.

With regards to the challenge aspect, do you mean the TFO's, or the episodes?

Happy to clarify, I meant that the gaining of theses Awards should be a challenge.

I'm glad the points have been clarified though, I'm already looking forward to working towards obtaining the new awards!

Do you have any suggestions on how it could be more challenging? Or did our clarifications satisfy your point?