STOA is no longer an active fleet. Change my mind!

I already know that roughly 90% of our Fleet members will never read this (that alone is sad enough), but I need to get this off my chest. For the past two years, despite all efforts of the Admiralty, the activities in the fleet have continuously declined. The Admirals constantly came up with new ideas to increase activity, but most of you just gave a damn. And it is most disappointing.

Technically, the STO Academy has reached a point where it can no longer be considered to be an active fleet. Why? Well, we no longer meet the criteria for it. A fleet in STO is the same as a guild in other MMOs. By definition, this means a group of players that play regularly together. Do we play regularly together? No, we don't. It rathers seems that the Fleet has become a massive parking lot for DOFFing/Admiralty Alts. If events are set up or someone wants to start spontaneous actions, the hosts figuratively have to get down on their knees and beg repeatedly before the most of you even consider to "lower" yourselves to play with us mere mortals. FYI: I no longer beg you. It is not worth my time.

Due to the horrendous lack of members willing to engage in fleet activities, there is no need for me (and potentially others as well) to log in on weekdays anymore as the european part of this fleets membership is either gone or also not giving a damn anymore. So for the few "active" members, that means to being "forced" to look forward to Saturdays, when the availibity of some dear friends in the U.S. happen to intersect with mine / ours.

Out of an average of 450 fleet members (by account), a medium one-digit percentage is truly dedicated to the fleet in one way or another and work their asses off, so that you can get all that fancy stuff from the Fleet Holdings. And what is the rest of you doing? Whatever it is, regarding to the fleet, it is not really noticeable. So, why are you in the fleet again?
By the way, what I loath most are the hypocrits who still haven't joined the chat channel. They range in the three-digit numbers and some of them have been members for years. Not joining the chat channel clearly means that there is no interest to have anything to do with the fleet. This defies the very reason for being in a fleet in the first place. So, why are they still members?

I do get, that some people are not comfortable with chatting. Some few members to which that applies, compensate by contributing to the Fleet Holdings often (which is awesome, btw). You don't wanna talk with us? Okay, that's fine. But is it so much of a problem to just x up occasionally to join a TFO fleet run and then type r when you are ready? I can not imagine that it would be, if communication on your part is limited to literally just two letters.

So now we have a fleet, with at least 90% of its members not giving any fuck. Hell, we even have members who had forum account issues for quite some time. But instead of rectifying that by contacting Attilio, they are rude to me. When I direct them to the forums for event details, I get a PM with "I have login issues!". And how exactly is that my problem? When I then direct them to the Event Calendar (which can be looked at without logging in), I get a PM with the blatant lie "It requires me to login in". So much for taking an effort. Thank you very much.
Curiously those few that are actually giving a damn and wanna play with each other, almost always happen to be active in the Legion. Seriously, what the hell is up with that?

Something needs to change. Radically. Yesteryear! If nothing changes, more and more dedicated members will be leaving and then this fleet would be truly defunct. As far as I see it, there are only two ways to rectify this. Either you all get off your lazy asses OR the fleet makes a hard reset and completely reinvents itself in a way that rewards/promotes members for taking an effort.

Personally, I would opt for the latter and I recommend that Fleet members are consulted for ideas.

You don't agree? Change my mind!
I believe this to be quite accurate TP. It is sad but true. Being in this fleet is about the only reason I still play this game. I am lucky, I fell into a group of very active players within our fleet whom I have become friends with and they make playing very fun. Many don't know what they are missing out on.
I haven't been here long enough to say either way. I do see a number of people on discord, but when I look at people in game, I don't see as many. I believe you are accurrate on this count. I know I am not the most active, but I am still getting my footing with STO to remember how to play.  (As in where all the hints, tips, and tricks are.)

This game has been around a few years, and I wish I had started playing in the begining, but here I am now, and I want to learn. I want the gear, and I want to be able to be online with friends having fun with the game. 

I agree that folks just don't know what they are missing.I just hope something will happen that changes that.

(10-30-2018, 10:51 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: I already know that roughly 90% of our Fleet members will never read this (that alone is sad enough), but I need to get this off my chest. For the past two years, despite all efforts of the Admiralty, the activities in the fleet have continuously declined. The Admirals constantly came up with new ideas to increase activity, but most of you just gave a damn. And it is most disappointing.

Technically, the STO Academy has reached a point where it can no longer be considered to be an active fleet. Why? Well, we no longer meet the criteria for it. A fleet in STO is the same as a guild in other MMOs. By definition, this means a group of players that play regularly together. Do we play regularly together? No, we don't. It rathers seems that the Fleet has become a massive parking lot for DOFFing/Admiralty Alts. If events are set up or someone wants to start spontaneous actions, the hosts figuratively have to get down on their knees and beg repeatedly before the most of you even consider to "lower" yourselves to play with us mere mortals. FYI: I no longer beg you. It is not worth my time.

Due to the horrendous lack of members willing to engage in fleet activities, there is no need for me (and potentially others as well) to log in on weekdays anymore as the european part of this fleets membership is either gone or also not giving a damn anymore. So for the few "active" members, that means to being "forced" to look forward to Saturdays, when the availibity of some dear friends in the U.S. happen to intersect with mine / ours.

Out of an average of 450 fleet members (by account), a medium one-digit percentage is truly dedicated to the fleet in one way or another and work their asses off, so that you can get all that fancy stuff from the Fleet Holdings. And what is the rest of you doing? Whatever it is, regarding to the fleet, it is not really noticeable. So, why are you in the fleet again?
By the way, what I loath most are the hypocrits who still haven't joined the chat channel. They range in the three-digit numbers and some of them have been members for years. Not joining the chat channel clearly means that there is no interest to have anything to do with the fleet. This defies the very reason for being in a fleet in the first place. So, why are they still members?

I do get, that some people are not comfortable with chatting. Some few members to which that applies, compensate by contributing to the Fleet Holdings often (which is awesome, btw). You don't wanna talk with us? Okay, that's fine. But is it so much of a problem to just x up occasionally to join a TFO fleet run and then type r when you are ready? I can not imagine that it would be, if communication on your part is limited to literally just two letters.

So now we have a fleet, with at least 90% of its members not giving any fuck. Hell, we even have members who had forum account issues for quite some time. But instead of rectifying that by contacting Attilio, they are rude to me. When I direct them to the forums for event details, I get a PM with "I have login issues!". And how exactly is that my problem? When I then direct them to the Event Calendar (which can be looked at without logging in), I get a PM with the blatant lie "It requires me to login in". So much for taking an effort. Thank you very much.
Curiously those few that are actually giving a damn and wanna play with each other, almost always happen to be active in the Legion. Seriously, what the hell is up with that?

Something needs to change. Radically. Yesteryear! If nothing changes, more and more dedicated members will be leaving and then this fleet would be truly defunct. As far as I see it, there are only two ways to rectify this. Either you all get off your lazy asses OR the fleet makes a hard reset and completely reinvents itself in a way that rewards/promotes members for taking an effort.

Personally, I would opt for the latter and I recommend that Fleet members are consulted for ideas.

You don't agree? Change my mind!

Interim solution for active players (Click to View)

I understand your frustration.  I know there are a lot of members who put a lot of time and effort into building and running the fleet and they are to be commended for it.  I think maybe the Admiralty needs to create some guidelines on what constitutes an "active" member, but I don't know if that is really the solution.  This is a tough situation and there are members who do what they can do when they can do it to contribute to the fleet holdings, or engage in fleet events and such.  Not everyone's life is 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday with every night and weekend free to play STO. I really hope something can be worked out, as I enjoy the forums and chatting with folks when I can play, but in the end, STO is just a game. It's a game I enjoy and I enjoy playing it with other members when I can, but life is out there and it comes first.  I know I am probably not wording this correctly, and I don't mean to sound or come across as callous to the frustrations people are feeling. I just don't want to be looked down upon or have my play style frowned upon because I can't devote every spare minute of my free time to the fleet and the game. I hope this makes sense.

Even though I agree with you TP, and I am just now getting back into the game. I see it also that sometimes people who join or are active have very little to contribute to the fleet. I know there is the Coffers in the Colony world, however, that can only be done once a day per toon. The thing i see is that people might have a bunch of Fleet Marks that they are willing or wanting to donate, however, they cannot. The way I see it as well is the promotions. The main issue lays in where it counts. Yes the fleet is always a priority, however, again the lack of availability for that donation. There is the Armada system which allows you to be on that faction toon and donate to the other STOA fleets, but, the same issue is there. The only places i usually find to donate is to the Gamma fleets. The ones that I rarely see anyone on and have low tier bases, heck some are probably even dead. What I would like to see if possible is to have some volunteer active members join those fleets and report the members of STOA admiralty, once they see who has donated. That would count to a commendation of sorts. It is hard for most members to get the needed creds to be able to get the items they want, and some have better items then what is needed. 
The other issue is with the chat channel in that they might not be able to speak English which I have seen that this fleet is mostly comprised of. As you said the EU side of things has died off. This could be a contributing factor. They might be active, however, they might not just want to talk cause of that issue.

I know that, personally, I have had issues also getting people to join because the Captain's Test is a barrier.  No one wants to wait 2 weeks or more before they gain access to fleet stores.  This isn't really a RP fleet so it is kinda an unnecessary barrier to getting in new blood in and active at this point.  I have a larger fan base I could get into the fleet but this keeps me from doing it. 

We also should talk more about what the fleet wants as far as the weekly buffs go.  The dil buff is even less useful now that random TFOs have been introduced.  Dil ore is no longer a rarity or hard to get and the dil buff doesn't affect refinement at all.
It's less about the fleet and more about the quality of the game at this point. A lot of the old guard have dropped off due to persistent bugs with no fixes on the horizon, slow content drip feeds that you wait months for but takes hours to complete, and a general lack of endgame whatsoever. This is not a problem unique to our fleet by any means. I follow the STO subreddit pretty closely and the number of users and posts has definitely dropped off there, and the STO subreddit is one of the few places where interaction actually happens with the dev team so that says something. 

The content delivery of the game now is more suited to logging in only occasionally and filling up doff/admiralty projects, doing some donations, and moving on for the day. I rarely spend more than 10-15 minutes logged in unless there's a new ship to grind out mastery for or something similar like an event. Why do you think they've been running so many events back to back to back this year? They see the same trend on their side, and limited-availability content is a sure way to get veterans to play at least a bit every day. That's also why AoD was rushed out with few missions but a big timesink with T6 rep grind - to get more new blood into the game via the cross-promotion from CBS, and keep the vets at least logging in for the next 60-90 days for that sweet grind until it's holiday event time. It's great that they've published a roadmap for the first time because it basically confirms to me that all of my STO time can be spent elsewhere except for a few brief checkins for events. My gaming time is at a premium nowadays since I've got a kid to look after and another on the way, and this game doesn't provide enough "fun" on a regular basis for me to devote the time to it that I used to a few years ago. After taking a break for nearly a year and returning earlier this year prior to ViL, I've realized that the endgame here just does not interest me. 

As far as your feelings above, I get that you're frustrated. As a former member of fleet leadership, I share your frustration but browbeating people is not the solution. Your post comes across as very heavy handed and aggressive and if I was just coming into the fleet and looking here, that would not make me want to participate more.

The dil boost is something that has come up previously as a reason that some former fleetmates have left, many of whom joined more serious fleets like Reddit because of permanent combat boost among other things. Maybe we talk about that for starters? I've seen more people offering build help recently in chat like JB with his build clinics, but I've also seen a lot of people ask fairly innocuous questions about gear choices and be talked down to by other fleet members, so the attitude in the fleet chat is not always welcoming in my mind as well. I'm not going to call anyone out here but I get tired of that kind of thing so I often do not even participate in chat when I am on these days. The addition of Discord has made it useful to keep up with the fleet activities when not online, but even there it seems like a lot of folks are fragmenting off into their own private discord servers with smaller groups to run content. The fleet is working together, in that sense, but you just don't see the results all the time. 

As long as I have been a member, the history of the fleet has always been fairly casual; most members do not read up on the game in their off-time and play because they enjoy Trek and the atmosphere the game has created. If you are planning to move away from that, you would probably risk alienating the casuals who show up currently and donate without expecting recompense, but there is no guarantee you have a pool of veteran/elite players who would be able to sustain the fleet as it stands. I touched on this in a previous thread about the KDF armada. I know that once the Delta Rising expansion killed alts for the most part, we saw a steep drop off in membership and a lot of people were culled regularly due to non-participation after that. I would assume at least part of that is our fleets' alt population and not necessarily unique players. Alts were always a good source of grinding for the various fleet holdings, so that obviously has to have an impact on the perceived participation in the fleet as well. To fix that problem you have two choices as I see it: double down on casuals and start recruiting heavily (and make it easier to get in as someone else mentioned by making the test easier or removing it along with the waiting period), or refocus as a serious endgame fleet and start recruiting. Either way, bringing in more new blood is going to be the easiest fix to build a better user base.

Apologies for the wall of text!

(10-31-2018, 09:11 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: This is a tough situation and there are members who do what they can do when they can do it to contribute to the fleet holdings, or engage in fleet events and such.
(11-01-2018, 01:24 AM)Firetrekkie Wrote: I see it also that sometimes people who join or are active have very little to contribute to the fleet. I know there is the Coffers in the Colony world, however, that can only be done once a day per toon.
Okay, I know I mentioned the Fleet holding contributions, but this is really more about not playing together.

(11-01-2018, 01:24 AM)Firetrekkie Wrote: The other issue is with the chat channel in that they might not be able to speak English which I have seen that this fleet is mostly comprised of.
Oh, come on. The Armada website clearly states its an english-speaking fleet and the Captain Test is also in english. If language is a problem, you go to a fleet that speaks your native tongue.

(10-31-2018, 09:11 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: Not everyone's life is 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday with every night and weekend free to play STO.
(11-01-2018, 04:08 AM)robonixon Wrote: It's less about the fleet and more about the quality of the game at this point.
Of course, not everybody is available all the time and yes, the bugs annoy me as well. All the more reason to make the best of it by playing WITH the fleet.

(11-01-2018, 01:55 AM)Spester Wrote: I know that, personally, I have had issues also getting people to join because the Captain's Test is a barrier. No one wants to wait 2 weeks or more before they gain access to fleet stores.  This isn't really a RP fleet so it is kinda an unnecessary barrier to getting in new blood in and active at this point.  I have a larger fan base I could get into the fleet but this keeps me from doing it.
Well, the Captain's Test is on me. Way back I suggested that, because many fleet members had a problem with observing the rules. So that was a way to get them to read them. Regarding the 2 weeks... Well, there are fleets out there with an even higher time limit and honestly, if we give new fleet members full access right from the start, that's just an invite to get our stores robbed clean.

(11-01-2018, 01:55 AM)Spester Wrote: We also should talk more about what the fleet wants as far as the weekly buffs go.  The dil buff is even less useful now that random TFOs have been introduced.  Dil ore is no longer a rarity or hard to get and the dil buff doesn't affect refinement at all.
(11-01-2018, 04:08 AM)robonixon Wrote: The dil boost is something that has come up previously as a reason that some former fleetmates have left, many of whom joined more serious fleets like Reddit because of permanent combat boost among other things. Maybe we talk about that for starters?
Seconded. On December 28, 2015, the fleet was asked about their opinion about the Boosts. Although only 12 votes were cast, the majortiy (58.33%) said the Combat boost is best.
So yesterday happened something that was an eye opener:

Quote:There have been a lot of Legion events lately. How about doing some for all?

1. It is not my problem, that the majority of you do not like KDF gameplay.
  2. I'm pretty much the only one hosting new events every now and then and you have the nerve to complain about that???
  3. Seriously????
  4. If that bothers you so much, how about hosting events of your own????? We have a whole fricking category for that in the fleet forums!!!!

Yesterday showed me, that there is absolutely no hope left for this fleet whatsoever. So, I surrender. If you all just wanna be by yourselves, then that's fine by me. From now on, I do not care anymore as well. I'm done.

With the exception of today's "Legion Colony Support & Defense" event, I have cancelled all my future events.

I know who plays this game. From now on, I will inform them in advance, if I wanna do stuff.

Regarding the rest of you, I will no longer waste my time on you. If you want something done, do it yourself!

TP out.
I'd just like to apologize to any member who may be insulted or turned away by this thread. I do agree with that sentiment that it can be frustrating not to have enough members when trying to do an event, but of course no one can be forced to do anything. We all have a choice. That choice should be respected and is respected by the Admiralty.

With that said, we do our best to provide you with as much information as possible about the fleet. The events page is a great place to start, which also has a link to our Google calendar. You can actually add our calendar to yours (assuming you use Google) to be reminded of events. I also include the upcoming week's events in our weekly message.

If anyone has suggestions on how we can improve what we do, just let us know in the Fleet Suggestions forum. Not everything can be done depending on the complexity of this, but we do give every suggestion a lot of consideration.