Things I wish I knew when I started playing...
(10-04-2018, 11:13 AM)IneptCorpse Wrote: So do you think we should Refine/Save Dilithium and trade it in for Zen?

For me personally, Yes but not at the cost of gearing up your main character. Also keep an eye on the dill exchange certain events usually offer better exchange rates, such as Pheonix events earlier in the year (Feb/March). But of course you can choose not to - and play how you want there are many ways some prefer to buy zen rather than take the effort, and it does take time , to gather dill for refining.
A good tip for earning dilithium quickly is playing the voth ground battlezone. You can easily earn 8000 dilithium within 30 - 60 minutes of playing (maybe less, I never really timed it). Just get all the daily missions for it, run through the entire event. Convert all the Cybernetic Implants and Dyson marks you earned into dilithium and enjoy!

I wish i knew that I only really needed to outfit one or two toons./ships.   That I could have just refined the alts dilithium.  I think someone said that already.
One of the main things I wish I'd known when I was getting to grips with this game is that meta changes so don't get sucked into the grinding for the next shiny thing too early. You can almost guarantee what you think is the best thing going wont be shortly after. Slow down, enjoy the game, fly some ships, learn the mechanics and then maybe invest time, money or both. But always remember it's a game and fun should come first.
I can add to that as well, when you start a character pick an energy type and stick to it. It is not as important when you are staring off, but by the time you hit lvl 50 you should be working to standardizing the energy types and having all MK XII (12) gear,

Case in point all my main toons specialize in a damage type
Note: Does anyone have a full list, of all the weapons types in a simple and easy to understand matrix?
Gamepedia really does not do a good job of explain this https://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_type_(space) as they list only the main six Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron, Antiproton, but miss the others like
Temporal Defense Chroniton, Romulan Plasma Proton, etc..

Toby Arrow Antiproton
Aila Arrow Romulan Plasma
Nate Arrow Temporal Defense Chroniton
HoSg Arrow Disruptor
SanesaArrow Romulan Plasma? Proton?
Viret'ix Arrow Polaron
Kud Arrow Tetryon?

The other thing is once you have your MKII gear, upgrade it to MK XIII (13) - MK XV (15) Each jump increase the damage by something like a quarter (25%) and that is regardless of the rarity
I would say for a new starting player Disruptor or Antiproton weapons are more readily available in early missions and are relatively cheap compared to the other weapons types on exchange. It is also more easy to get console sets that will boost those weapons types from missions.
And it is very easy to upgrade stuff if you get plenty of phoenix packs.
(09-30-2018, 08:28 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: Off the top of my head:
  • DOFF Assignments in the Undine Space Battle Zones (awesome for levelling the DOFF Commendations)
  • Dilithium Refinement Contacts at the Fleet Dilithium Mine and Starfleet/Klingon Academy/New Romulus Command
  • Benefits of being in a Fleet

That could be really good.  As a new player myself who has watched and subsequently turned off many of the existing videos please keep it simple and do NOT assume that the person watching is already an STO expert.
Do that and you could be onto a winner.

So, what do I think would work?

An explanation in plain English about the differing ship types
Crafting, why craft, what to craft etc
Bridge officers....good one.  What bridge staff to recruit and why.  How to train them up, what skills to expoit.
Consoles .....please do that....I don't have a clue.  A good example would by, where to get them from!!!
Weapon types.  Every video on youtube gets very technical very quickly.  Keep it simple
Duty officers, how to use them, why you use them, where you recruit them etc etc

I look forward to your videos and please speak to me like I am an idiot!!!

Good luck
(10-04-2018, 11:05 PM)tobywitczak Wrote: I can add to that as well, when you start a character pick an energy type and stick to it. It is not as important when you are staring off, but by the time you hit lvl 50 you should be working to standardizing the energy types and having all MK XII (12) gear,

Case in point all my main toons specialize in a damage type
Note: Does anyone have a full list, of all the weapons types in a simple and easy to understand matrix?
Gamepedia really does not do a good job of explain this https://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_type_(space) as they list only the main six Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron, Antiproton, but miss the others like
Temporal Defense Chroniton, Romulan Plasma Proton,  etc..

Toby Arrow Antiproton
Aila Arrow Romulan Plasma
Nate Arrow Temporal Defense Chroniton
HoSg Arrow Disruptor
SanesaArrow Romulan Plasma? Proton?
Viret'ix Arrow Polaron
Kud Arrow Tetryon?

The other thing is once you have your MKII gear, upgrade it to MK XIII (13) - MK XV (15) Each jump increase the damage by something like a quarter (25%) and that is regardless of the rarity

I made a really good thread with all the weapon subtypes and where you can get them here: https://forum.stoacademy.com/showthread.php?tid=2112

It's up to date except for maybe one or two types I missed earlier this year, and I am filling it in as I have time and am motivated to do so.

I'd like to add that doing random queues keeps you on your toes for combat (as you can't build your ship to fight any specific enemy, e.g. extra plasma resists for Borg fights don't help vs. Undine) while also giving you bonus marks and dilithium. Those bonus mark packages add up really fast, and can all be converted to >8k/day once reps are maxed. Even the smallest of them gives enough marks to run the daily rep projects a few times. They can be redeemed for marks from any rep, not just the one associated with the TFO you ran to acquire it.