Its Just Cosmetic (or the LootBox Controversy)
By now we had heard fo the infamous lootboxes being rampant in MMOs and MMORPGs via various sources of news or the media. Anyone remember Jim 'F**ing' Sterling 'Son' calling 2017 "the Year of the Lootbox"?

The issue now seems that the lootboxes are some form of 'glorified gambling', cited by the random loot given out by opening the said lootboxes.

Already, we are seeming that there are all sorts of reactions to lootboxes and the revelations behind them. We already have regulators seeking to regulate and lock down the worst excesses that Lootboxes offer. On the other hand, we have the Game Developers seeking to defy them and even asking players to support them. All in the name of freedom of speech (and lining their pockets).

Our EU members should be well aware that such regulations are beginning to advance. This may have consequences for us players here in STO. Considering we use the Lockboxes (or lootboxes) here...

MOD EDIT: Replaced the 8475 character long link to the image with an actual upload in order to make quoting not a mess. Wink TP

Fleet, we should seek a stand and put forward a fleet policy on lockboxes. Otherwise, we may end up going onto a state of disarray when things start going pear shaped, be it from regulations or the industry lobbyists.

Should we restrict our use of Lockboxes? Should we advocate for Lockbox Freedom?  Confused

(09-20-2018, 11:45 AM)codius1988 Wrote: Our EU members should be well aware that such regulations are beginning to advance.
Waiting for this for over a year now. The minute PWE withdraws from Europe, I'm gonna use VPN to continue playing.

(09-20-2018, 11:45 AM)codius1988 Wrote: Fleet, we should seek a stand and put forward a fleet policy on lockboxes. Otherwise, we may end up going onto a state of disarray when things start going pear shaped, be it from regulations or the industry lobbyists.

Should we restrict our use of Lockboxes? Should we advocate for Lockbox Freedom?  Confused
Personally, I do not see any real danger with STO's Lock Boxes. In theory, you do not need to spend real money to get their contents. It can all be accomplished with ingame ressources.
(09-20-2018, 11:58 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: Waiting for this for over a year now. The minute PWE withdraws from Europe, I'm gonna use VPN to continue playing.

Personally, I do not see any real danger with STO's Lock Boxes. In theory, you do not need to spend real money to get their contents. It can all be accomplished with ingame ressources.

I concur - that is how I get keys is through the dilithium exchange covert to zen.

TP the only issue you might have with VPN is if the PWE knows that you are from Europe, via bank details address etc..
(09-21-2018, 04:13 PM)Trudard Wrote: TP the only issue you might have with VPN is if the PWE knows that you are from Europe, via bank details address etc..
Well, then I sign a waiver if necessary. LOL