"V-GER of Borg"....?
I found this article on-line about the possibility of V-Ger being the first Borg, (the Borg Queen, I suppose), and remembering Star Trek: The Motion Picture, I saw no clues at the end of the movie that would suggest that. Apparently the writer of this article is thinking along the lines that this theory may have been probable.....

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/question...f-the-borg

"I remember reading somewhere a theory that V'ger (the being that the Voyager probe had become in Star Trek: The Motion Picture) was somehow responsible for the creation of the Borg. Is this canonical? Where does the theory come from? And how exactly did it go down?"

I, myself have always been unclear about the origin of the Borg, (especially when "Star Trek: First Contact" threw a little time traveling in the storyline). So I'm also wanted to know:
Is the Borg Queen V-Ger evolved? (Well, V-Ger DID end up being a concious being that was the NASA Voyager probe, evolved).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Achieved my personal goal of 8 commendations for the month of November to commemorate being a member of STOA Infinity for 6 months!!! Â (yesssssssssss!!!) Live Long and ProsperÂ
Didn't Shatner write a book about this?

Anyway, there's no canon that says how the Borg came about. V-Ger being the first Borg is only fan theory and/or from non-canon media.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/V%27Ger

(05-29-2018, 07:38 PM)Attilio Wrote: Didn't Shatner write a book about this?

Anyway, there's no canon that says how the Borg came about. V-Ger being the first Borg is only fan theory and/or from non-canon media.

Agreed. Canon states that the Borg has been around since at least the year 1484, when the Vaadwaur were at the height of the power. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_history
Someone working on STO thinks there's a connection, when V'ger is reveled in the directors cut of the motion picture the ship is almost identical to the borg command ships in STO.

Is this the story that V-Ger became self aware? Eventually, it came upon a primitive civilization and decided that in order to help them, it needed to "enhance" them. In a nutshell, the Borg were created by V-Ger long before even the time of Cpt. Archer and Enterprise NX-01. Yes, we did see Borg in ST: Ent., but those were Borg from the future that went back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane.
(05-29-2018, 07:38 PM)Attilio Wrote: Didn't Shatner write a book about this?

I'm wondering if Picard was ever asked while being debriefed during the time he was transformed into Locutus of Borg.... (wouldn't he have had access to Borg archive files that would explain their origin?, and would Picard have been able to recall this information still being affected by PTSD due to being Locutus?)

Achieved my personal goal of 8 commendations for the month of November to commemorate being a member of STOA Infinity for 6 months!!! Â (yesssssssssss!!!) Live Long and ProsperÂ
(05-30-2018, 12:32 AM)Volaar Wrote: Is this the story that V-Ger became self aware? Eventually, it came upon a primitive civilization and decided that in order to help them, it needed to "enhance" them. In a nutshell, the Borg were created by V-Ger long before even the time of Cpt. Archer and Enterprise NX-01. Yes, we did see Borg in ST: Ent., but those were Borg from the future that went back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane.
Based on that it would be nice to see Star Trek Online do a revamp of the Romulans and the Borg (as well as be able to explain the Borg origin) using the story arc continuing on from that situation where Captain Nog was helping in assisting the Romulans (that one mission with annoying Noye in it) where the Borg ended up assimilating Romulus.

(05-30-2018, 12:32 AM)Volaar Wrote: Is this the story that V-Ger became self aware? Eventually, it came upon a primitive civilization and decided that in order to help them, it needed to "enhance" them. In a nutshell, the Borg were created by V-Ger long before even the time of Cpt. Archer and Enterprise NX-01. Yes, we did see Borg in ST: Ent., but those were Borg from the future that went back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane.
Proof for V'Gers involvement? Canon established the Borg existed close to 600 years before First Contact. Did V'Ger travel back in time?

sent from TP's Communicator
(05-30-2018, 07:04 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: Proof for V'Gers involvement? Canon established the Borg existed close to 600 years before First Contact. Did V'Ger travel back in time?

sent from TP's Communicator

According to TMP dialog, the data that Voyager 6 gathered was consistent with it falling into a Quantum Singularity that also had a temporal displacement. Dekker assumed it was a black hole since things large enough to facilitate stable transport of craft the size of Voyager 6 (like the Bajoran or Barzan Wormholes) had not yet been verified to exist.

The original Borg could have existed before 600 years ago, but were not truly the borg we know of today until then... (i'll touch on that further down this post...) As for Picard, he wouldn't know any more about V'GER than the Starfleet records say due to his short involvement with the Collective as Locutus and never having left the Beta Quadrant... Even the borg can have downrange communications issues, and such data would have been deemed irrelevant anyways to their mission. But someone that was borg their entire life and has even lived in the Central Plexus, like Seven of Nine, would have had access to such things.

To me, the whole Machine planet thing is more akin to Terminators, the Matrix aliens, or even Transformers than the Borg. In that sense we could even argue that The Matrix series is actually just an extreme off tangent of the timeline where instead of just upgrading and sending V'Ger back to find its creators, they came here instead to cleanse V6's homeworld of the "biologic impurities".

Anyways, it should be quite obvious that the Unimatrix 0047 Command Ships look identical to how the V'GER ship appeared in TMP because they ARE from the same original species of the machine planet. (The difference in size doesn't matter in STO, apparently...) V'GER was just sent on its way back to Earth BEFORE the war with the original borg. The machines would have viewed the original borgs as abominations (ala SkyNet, with their resentment stemming from remnant POVs of their own creators exploiting them) and the original borgs would have seen the machines as exactly what they needed to improve their quest for perfection. There had to of been a big war between the two and the Borg ended up being the Victors. It could have very well been the turning point for them from just another species in the DQ to the ungodly Juggernauts they are today. Usually when the borg conquer and assimilate, the ships are parted out and quickly become unrecognizable from their original configurations, like we saw in their only ENT episode "Regeneration". BUT in this case, the design of the ships were so close to perfection, that they largely remained intact visually, even including their super plasma lance weapons.

There's still the possibility that what the original borg assimilated was not the actual machine planet that V6 fell onto and was upgraded with an AI program on, but instead just a colony in this galaxy and the actual machine homeworld still exists in another galaxy on the other side of the universe... Or the anomaly that V6 got sucked into really did send it to Cybertron on the other side of the universe, and the colony was established in the DQ when V'GER started on its return to Earth 600-700 years ago as a place it could return to when necessary for further upgrades...  But then again, the terms of "universe" and "galaxy" were also quite interchangeable during the TOS/TMP era so there's really no way to know for sure.
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]
Moved to STO Discussions.