First AP build...
I decided to build up an AP build and have it at least functional if not fully topped out yet. I have a TON of work left on it, but it's coming along nicely. The tactical slots are only half done, the vulnerability exploiters are staying, the other two consoles are going to be dumped for vulnerability locators instead. I'm thinking 2 locators and 2 exploiters of the vulnerability consoles instead of all of one kind. Too many people argue all one way or the other, I'm gonna test in the middle first and test from there.

Full sets included : Iconian Resistance and Radiant Armaments

Bear with me as this build is still somewhat young and still development.
The other interesting point is that when I move the same gear over to my Fleet Dreadnought Cruiser, critical hit chance goes up 27% while critical hit severity drops to 13.9%. Mind you, neither of these ships have vulnerability locators, only exploiters. Locators will be a nice little boost over this.

While some might be able to recognize the pics of your specific items, and a screen shot doesn't give a real picture of your build, as it is missing vital details like Boff abilities, Doffs, and Skills.

I suggest you use the http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/ if you want anybody to critique your complete build.
I'm sorry, Bhatair, I thought I was clear I was JUST asking about the ship build itself, NOT those extra details. And given that most experienced players recognize simple equipment, I thought this was plenty of info for the basic question of a SHIP BUILD. Topic subject matter and all that. I didn't ask about Boffs, Doffs, or Skills. I'm quite familiar with those and didn't have any questions on that. And I apologize for not using the expected format, but as my post count shows, I'm NEW here.

Let me also add that I wasn't asking for help as much as I was pointing out the build, and the difference the same equipment has on a different ship and really trying to pick which is better. The ship that takes the same equipment and gives more crit chance, or the one that gives less crit chance, but higher crit severity.

Thank you for your shining assistance...
Unfortunately Tyrchlis, when you ask about a build, information about Boffs, Doffs and Skills are pertinent to, well, just about everything. Asking advice for a build requires the whole lot.

That way, we can see more clearly what you are trying to achieve (you didn't mention what your intentions for the build were) and give you advice for your "build" regardless of where you are with it.

Bhaltair was only trying to help us help you, a screenshot of your ship can only do so much.

So, with that being said, I have to say the attitude presented here is most unwelcome. If you ask for help on this forum, expect to receive it!
(03-22-2017, 04:00 PM)Tyrchlis Wrote: I'm sorry, Bhatair, I thought I was clear I was JUST asking about the ship build itself, NOT those extra details. And given that most experienced players recognize simple equipment, I thought this was plenty of info for the basic question of a SHIP BUILD. Topic subject matter and all that. I didn't ask about Boffs, Doffs, or Skills. I'm quite familiar with those and didn't have any questions on that. And I apologize for not using the expected format, but as my post count shows, I'm NEW here.

Let me also add that I wasn't asking for help as much as I was pointing out the build, and the difference the same equipment has on a different ship and really trying to pick which is better. The ship that takes the same equipment and gives more crit chance, or the one that gives less crit chance, but higher crit severity.

Thank you for your shining assistance...

Sorry for the misunderstanding. As you have said, you are new, so you probably didn't know that the term "ship build" has always been used for the total build, not just a portion. Players would rather use other terms like Ship Setup, or specifically point at the weapons, console, etc. if they wanted to point out specifics. The term ship build might not be the most accurate possible for a total build (Space Build might be better), but it is the term the community has used in years.

But there is still the problem with the screenshot. 

It is nearly impossible to know all thumbnail-pics of every item in the game, and especially weapons have very similar looks, some with only minor nuances in color. And the pic doesn't give any details on Mods you have on weapons or consoles. As of now I only now you are using APs and some kind of Torpedo, and Exploiters instead of the usual Locators in Tac, possibly with AP mod.
If you don't want/need any advice on any other aspect I still advise to use the skillplaner to show us the setup you want us to critique. Just leave the rest blank. Or you accompany you screenshot with a list of all items+mods.

As for now, I can only give advise on what I see and recognize:
a) You are using Vulnerability Exploiters instead of Locators. 
- I assume your reasoning for that is that you are using the Sci-Ult build? While these are not bad, I do want to point out a few things: The Sci ult will be nerfed with the upcoming Space Balance. Probability Window has been cut, so the buff will only last 15s. Therefore Crit is still important in any build. Additionally the skill Weapon Specialization has been nerfed, giving less Crit Chance than before. This makes other Crit boots more desirable. 
- On top of that Locators are generally considered stronger than Exploiters. You can see why when you compare them with Weapon Mods: 
A weapon with CrtH mod receives 2% crit chance. The weapon mod CrtD gives +20% crit severity.
In contrast an epic Locator also gives +2% Crit Chance, while an epic Exploiter only gives +10% Crit Severity.
As the Exploiter only gives so little in comparison, the Locators are usually used.

b) Beam Weapons: 
- The Mod hierarchy is: Pen > CrtD = Dmg > CrtH >> Acc/anything else.
Pen is only available on crafted weapons.

If you have the EC, you could enhance your AP build with the following Lockbox weapons (can be found on the exchange):
- Herald AP
- Delphic AP
The Herald has the chance to give a stacking Damage buff, while the Delphic boosts Crit.
One weapon each would be enough. Look for UR versions with Dmg and/or CritD mods. Allowing one CrtH mod will significantly reduce the cost of any bought weapon.

EDIT: See below.

After the Space balance you could also add the Rep. Weapon "Advanced Radiant AP". 
It seems you already have that weapon, together with the torpedo. The only problem right now with the weapon is that it has a different firing cycle (4s) than any other beam (5s). That will be adjusted with the Space balance, but for now it doesn't sync well.

c) Torpedo: there are 2 alternatives to consider:
- Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo (only available if you have the Assault Cruiser)
- Crystalline Energy Torpedo (past event torpedo, is available in the Phoenix Prize Box)

The WAQT might not do as much damage as others, but has one major advantage: the shooting radius is 180 degrees.
This allows it to work well on beam boats.

The CETL is a unique weapon, as it does AP damage instead of Kinetic, and therefore behaves more like an energy weapon than a torpedo, gaining manay of the damage boosts your beam gets.
Edit:

I need to redact my previous recommendations of the various AP Weapons.
The upcoming Space Balance has one significant change that makes these weapons less appealing:
All weapon procs are moved from per shot to per cycle. That means a Beam that shoots 4 shots per cycle will be reduced from 4 to 1 proc chances per cycle, severely crippling the overall chance. 
Therefore I can't recommend these weapons any more.
Perfect advice! Actually, you hit the nail right on the head with something I had been wondering, the actually validity at all of an AP build under the rebalance. Thank you for helping me formulate my thought process on this!
I'm still working on the build at this point, and the vuln exploiters were all I could get at first since my fleet hadn't reached Tier III Spire yet, so was reserving two tac slots for vuln locators once I can get them, which should be very soon. The idea is I wanted a pair of each though, do you think this is a bad idea? All locators is what you recommend, is what I think you're saying? If so, I can adapt towards that path for a good reason, but my thinking was that since I already had 12.7% crit chance on the dread and 10% on the intel cruiser before locators that I could ease up on the need for all 4 being the same and add some crit severity to the mix with a pair of exploiters. If this is bad logic on my part, I'm flexible to adapt.
(03-22-2017, 07:44 PM)Tyrchlis Wrote: Perfect advice! Actually, you hit the nail right on the head with something I had been wondering, the actually validity at all of an AP build under the rebalance. Thank you for helping me formulate my thought process on this!

Crafted APs with [Pen] have been the King of Hill for some time. 
Only the emergence of the Terran Task Force Disruptor and Coalition Disruptors have challenged their dominance. 
The latest proc changes will only affirm the Status of APs, as they have an excellent Crit Severity boost instead of a proc.
CoalDis have a proc, and also received a slight 'nerf', which actually was a bug fix. Only time will tell which one of these
will come out on top, but it's probably going to be a close one (and might depend on the length of the encounter).

The TTFD is by far the strongest weapon in the game. 
Some consider it strong enough to include it into their non-disruptor builds, and switch to +beam Locators, but that would decrease the value of other +AP boosts.