Do I have to? To spend or not to spend..
(12-16-2016, 06:46 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: does this mean you can transfer dil, EC and such between alts on the same account?

on the same account, YES... technically you could do it between accounts too, but its highly foolish since theres sooo many sharks out there waiting for such opportunities on the exchanges for some noob to do that...
how its done is simply using the account bank for EC, or making a ridiculous offer to buy zen with dil that nobody should take up (25 dil OR 500 dil for 1 zen) and then canceling it and withdrawing the exchange balance on the toon you want to transfer the dil to. during the Phoenix event, i actually did score some zen for 25 dil each when the rate passed 250 dil/zen, so don't leave it in there too long :hehe:
there's several tutorial vids on youtube about this too...
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]
thanks for the replies, there is a lot to think about. However, 50,000,000 EC for some of the epic gear on the exchange seems like pissing in the wind to ever fully equip my poor assault cruiser.  I did look at the fleet warp cores at the fleet dilithium mine, but they were all max mark XII. Is that because of the level of my ship?  If someone with a higher tier ship looked at the vendor, would the levels of gear available be higher?

May as well add my meagre thoughts on the matter.

I've been playing this game for a few years now, off and on, and not had to spend a penny on it.

I've done the dil grind, played the EC markets, gambled foolishly on lockboxes, scrimped, saved, played their minigames for event ships, repeated their quests for fancy gear, built up a quite decent exotic beverages collection, survived Kurland, resisted the urge to chuck Neelix out the airlock, stroked tribbles behind the Klingon Chancellor. However, I don't play to be the best of the best, optimise-everything-so-I-can-one-shot-a-Borg-Cube - that'll be an endless, frustrating quest. I play to have fun. Surviving is a bonus.

Over time I've collected/crafted equipment, upgraded it, stuck it on free (usually event) ships. A lot of the good gear can be earned through the reputation system or repeated missions and gives cool set bonuses. Giving generously towards fleet/armada projects gives fleet credit which can be spent on cool gear too. And remember to tweak your traits and active duty officers to enhance your playstyle and skills. Just about everything in STO can be acquired for free if you don't mind occasional repetitive tasks and running about a lot.

Added bonus : You can earn a little bit of free zen by using the Arc Client. I've earned about 1000 zen over a few months using it. No purchase required.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-t...-new-games
I'll check out Arc....... it is installed on the puter, but i normally start the game through the STO icon rather than through the Arc icon.  I'll try it the other way and see what the results will be.

(12-23-2016, 04:30 AM)roughrider1988 Wrote: thanks for the replies, there is a lot to think about. However, 50,000,000 EC for some of the epic gear on the exchange seems like pissing in the wind to ever fully equip my poor assault cruiser.  I did look at the fleet warp cores at the fleet dilithium mine, but they were all max mark XII. Is that because of the level of my ship?  If someone with a higher tier ship looked at the vendor, would the levels of gear available be higher?

no need to invest right to epic gear. most of it IS overpriced for that very reason. but getting a few weapons with [CrtD][Dmg]x3[Pen] at UR is not as expensive and works just as well, or just get the same without [pen] from the fleet store. 50mil EC is a stack of just 7-10 keys, OR just 13 to 16 runs of Tour The Galaxy using 4 toons, depending on unassisted (800k) or full completion (925k) per toon.

(12-23-2016, 03:49 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: I'll check out Arc....... it is installed on the puter, but i normally start the game through the STO icon rather than through the Arc icon.  I'll try it the other way and see what the results will be.

The thing with the Arc Quests isn't exactly free, it's a promo scheme to get you to download OTHER lesser played games in their network that most of us would overlook. I simply don't have the drive space or interest to do that.
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]
(12-24-2016, 11:24 AM)Akimalyn2380 Wrote: The thing with the Arc Quests isn't exactly free, it's a promo scheme to get you to download OTHER lesser played games in their network that most of us would overlook. I simply don't have the drive space or interest to do that.
It's true you need to download "some" parts of those games. However, you just need to hit the play button and start the launcher to make it count for the quests. You do not need to fully download all the updates et cetera. I have 13 games installed that take up a little over 60 GB. So, if you have the disk space, it is an option to invest 3 minutes a day and earning at least 500 ZEN a month, depending on the random quests you get.
It doesn't seem to update for me, I tried with the game icon and arc icon. I try to sign out but it keeps tellingme the game is running when I don't even have it open.