Fastest Race on Ice - Tips & Tricks
I just found this on reddit/r/sto, from the user Eishtmo:

Map: http://imgur.com/gallery/eZ7RF

Okay, the winter event starts tomorrow and I suspect there will be a lot of people having issues with the Fastest Race on Ice, the race you need to run for the ship. I've run it every year and gotten REAL good at it, so I'll offer some tips and such to help those of you new at this.

1. Don't run the entire time. Jogging (the normal movement pace) is usually more than enough to do the entire race. If you must run, do so in bursts along the lines on that map up there. It's rough because the map is small and I want you to see it.

2. Ice physics in STO, this is one of 2 (maybe 3, been a while since I was on Andoria) places where you'll find it. That means let go of the forward movement button BEFORE you want to make a turn. You will slide, especially if you're running, so be ready for it.

3. There's a slipping animation that plays if you try to make a turn. NO, you will not fall down, it just looks silly, but it's a good indicator that you're sliding a bit much.
4. Jumping will bring you to a complete stop, regardless of the ice. I don't do it much, but it might help you.

5. Be careful waving to start the race. If two people do it, the FIRST person to wave will not actually get to run the race and it'll get "failed." Don't freak if it happens to you, but try not to let it happen to someone else. Apologize if it does. Otherwise, go back up to the Breen and restart.

6. At the start you'll be frozen in place. While waiting, aim your character and push forward BEFORE the count down is done, well before. There's an odd lag with it and you might jump out to a good lead because of it.

7. Counter Command Armor has a speed booster if you roll with it, might be VERY useful if you're running a bit behind.

8. I have one friend who insists on getting turned into a bug by Q (you'll see) and running the race. Might be worth trying.

9. I can't prove it, but it seems like the shoes you put on in the tailor has an effect on your traction. Can't quite nail it down though, so it's probably just perception. Like how my giant ass Gorn seems to run slower even though I finish the race at the same time.

10. Practice, practice, practice. I did this race back in the day when EVERY character had to run the race to get the ship. I had 8 characters then, so I got VERY good at running it. Be thankful you only have to run it once per account now.
Another tip read on this reddit thread:

Basically, Jump when there is a turn and turn while you are in the air. Takes on the sliding out of the equation. You don't have to be fast just faster than the guy your are race.

There are more tips coming in as I type this, just follow the link I provided.
11. Equip "Physical Conditioning" Ground Reputation Trait to increase your Ground Speed.

Steps 7 and 11 also recommended for "The Fast and the Flurrious".
Couple of tips from me!

Using the Undine Armour set grants a speed boost after you do a roll. Sprinting into a roll is a good way to stop your course instantly AND because you can easily turn direction after. Then you get a wee bit of a speed boost to get back in.

Assign a keybind to walking. Yes you can walk in STO, but not without assigning a key and holding it in. If you have a bit too much velocity and rolling will jump you off the vicinity of the course, walking can adequately slow you down to be able to turn direction.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Regarding getting Q to change you into an animal - I do this just to relieve the monotony of the grind. Today I completed the course twice (still finishing 2012's event) - once as a Horta and once as what looked like a sabre-toothed-wombat cub. Might just be because I'm getting used to the course but I didn't slide off the edge with either.

Also, turning yourself into a snowman (with a Frigid Lump of Coal) for the FatF race doesn't help. They are a fair bit slower than an organic biped, although it's a bit more entertaining. Yes, I tried it.
I don't know if they actually make a differance or not but I seemed to have a much easier time after I equipped the Frosted Boots.  Turned them on right at the start of the race after failing a few times and it seemed much easier.
(12-02-2016, 07:34 PM)Sidorna Wrote: Regarding getting Q to change you into an animal - I do this just to relieve the monotony of the grind. Today I completed the course twice (still finishing 2012's event) - once as a Horta and once as what looked like a sabre-toothed-wombat cub. Might just be because I'm getting used to the course but I didn't slide off the edge with either.

Also, turning yourself into a snowman (with a Frigid Lump of Coal) for the FatF race doesn't help. They are a fair bit slower than an organic biped, although it's a bit more entertaining. Yes, I tried it.

Before when we had the snowmen come to life everywhere on the map, it was a lot more fun using the lump to trick other players that the snowmen were coming after them during their voucher runs. now, they know it's other players trying to muck with them. Dodgy though that may still work with noobs.

with the animal changing, its simple physics on increasing traction since four or more points of contact are always better than two... but that can be more taxing on the math and thus why we can only play as bipedal life forms.
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]
Any tips would be helpful.  I've ran the race every day and haven't finished it yet.
I tried it with the snowman , it was more steady but really slow. But i might try to see what other animals he might do. Smile  I did notice that after a while (or a few times failing) they will give you something slower to race against. Yesturday after being beaten by 2 targs and two breens and a spider, I was able to win it after that. I found it harder to steer my toon when i did the frost boots but I can try it again.
Best tips I can give until you get used to the track, when you approach the corners stop moving and let your character slide and only run if there is a straight path.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk