Okay, the winter event starts tomorrow and I suspect there will be a lot of people having issues with the Fastest Race on Ice, the race you need to run for the ship. I've run it every year and gotten REAL good at it, so I'll offer some tips and such to help those of you new at this.
1. Don't run the entire time. Jogging (the normal movement pace) is usually more than enough to do the entire race. If you must run, do so in bursts along the lines on that map up there. It's rough because the map is small and I want you to see it.
2. Ice physics in STO, this is one of 2 (maybe 3, been a while since I was on Andoria) places where you'll find it. That means let go of the forward movement button BEFORE you want to make a turn. You will slide, especially if you're running, so be ready for it.
3. There's a slipping animation that plays if you try to make a turn. NO, you will not fall down, it just looks silly, but it's a good indicator that you're sliding a bit much.
4. Jumping will bring you to a complete stop, regardless of the ice. I don't do it much, but it might help you.
5. Be careful waving to start the race. If two people do it, the FIRST person to wave will not actually get to run the race and it'll get "failed." Don't freak if it happens to you, but try not to let it happen to someone else. Apologize if it does. Otherwise, go back up to the Breen and restart.
6. At the start you'll be frozen in place. While waiting, aim your character and push forward BEFORE the count down is done, well before. There's an odd lag with it and you might jump out to a good lead because of it.
7. Counter Command Armor has a speed booster if you roll with it, might be VERY useful if you're running a bit behind.
8. I have one friend who insists on getting turned into a bug by Q (you'll see) and running the race. Might be worth trying.
9. I can't prove it, but it seems like the shoes you put on in the tailor has an effect on your traction. Can't quite nail it down though, so it's probably just perception. Like how my giant ass Gorn seems to run slower even though I finish the race at the same time.
10. Practice, practice, practice. I did this race back in the day when EVERY character had to run the race to get the ship. I had 8 characters then, so I got VERY good at running it. Be thankful you only have to run it once per account now.