Need some advice on the VA
I need some advice from any of our US members that use the VA for health care.  My dad has a Peritonsillar Abscess that his VA doctors are so convinced it's cancer that even after he paid out of pocket to see a doctor outside of the VA to find out what is wrong they still won't drain or remove it.  All it takes to test for this is poking it and take a swab to test what comes out and they wanted him to drive to another VA 2 hours away for a biopsy without checking.  The VA has been giving him the run around for long enough that the doctor he saw yesterday is worried about it bursting but we don't have the money to get it taken care of without the VA.  Is there anyone in the fleet that has a had problems like this and if there is how did you deal with it?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
The only experience I've had with the VA is second-hand, and all bad. My Marine buddy has serious PTSD issues. Like, really really bad. They won't make appointments for him in Denver because we have a new building in Colorado Springs. Except the building in Colorado Springs isn't open yet, and isn't planning on having a psychologist available full time. So it's a nightmare for him to get his medication refilled, and he has to go through this every month.

So the best advice I can give you is to take your dad somewhere outside the VA. It'll be expensive, but it might save his life.
(08-18-2015, 07:37 PM)namikaze Wrote: The only experience I've had with the VA is second-hand, and all bad.  My Marine buddy has serious PTSD issues.  Like, really really bad.  They won't make appointments for him in Denver because we have a new building in Colorado Springs.  Except the building in Colorado Springs isn't open yet, and isn't planning on having a psychologist available full time.  So it's a nightmare for him to get his medication refilled, and he has to go through this every month.

So the best advice I can give you is to take your dad somewhere outside the VA.  It'll be expensive, but it might save his life.

Thanks, it's probably what he will have to do.
In Los Angeles area the VA is so bad there have been soldiers found dead in the waiting rooms waiting on their doctors. So I feel for him. We also have a hospital here they refer to as "General Hospital" that will take any patient whether they can pay the bill or have insurance at all. Their motto is "Treat the Patient in front of you". Cheesy line from the show the West Wing. But it works for most of the veterans here. They all go and say they have no insurance. Might have to wait up to 60 minutes to be seen, but at least we are not dying there like at the V.A.

My dad is now at Hershey Medical Center here in PA.  It got to the point that that the mass in his throat was effecting his breathing and my mom took him to the emergency room at the VA 2 Wednesdays ago and they transferred him to Hershey the next day.  The mass in his throat is cancer, it's an aggressive type of lymphoma.  Which is good and bad, it's good because the aggressive lymphoma responds better to chemo but it's also bad because it being the aggressive type is why it grew so fast and effected his breathing.  Hershey Med is the best hospital in the state so if they can't help him no one can.
If you dont mind I will pray for your dad, so he can have a speedy recovery and everything work for the best for you and your dad.
Thank you.  It's been a crazy 2 weeks, I live with my parents and my dad and I run our own flooring business and between work and picking up the slack around the house I haven't even had time to visit him.  He will be in Hershey Med at least until after the first round of chemo plus there's however long it takes till he's back up and around and my ass is already dragging.
Just when we thnk everything is dealt with and my dad is getting good care things are nuts again.  Hershey Med wants him to stay through the first round of  chemo because of his infection problems and the fact that chemo can mask the sign of an infection and the VA wants him sent home tomorrow because they don't want to pay anymore.  I think he'd get better care in prison than from the VA.
That is just awful. I sympathize with what you and he are going through. For my two credits, I'd do what the hospital wants to do, and then shove that bill right up the VA's ass.
Unfortunately my parents know better and both think the VA has all the power.  There may be nothing wrong with him coming home now but they won't even question it.