How to get the best DPS
HEC Tier 5-U. Build link: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=hechari_9867

I'm working on upgrading my stuff in the r&d system, but will take a while since I can't spend money on the game for a while. How can I get the best DPS here? Any input would be appreciated.
I'd start by reviewing the links here.  Great advice on both building and piloting.  As for your specific build, the first thing I'm seeing is lots of wasted boff space.  You list 3 copies of beam overload and 2 copies of fire at will.  Because of global cooldowns, the most you can ever use is 3 beam abilities.  I'd certainly drop at least 2 of the beam overloads and replace with another tac team and an attack pattern beta.  This will allow you to keep tac team and an attack pattern running most of the time.  I'd also try to get fire at will three instead of 1.  Try to swap one of the engineering skills with emergency power to weapons as it provides a nice boost to your damage.  Also make sure you have boffs with space traits if at all possible and that you have doffs that are helping you.  You can get good info on all that stuff by checking the links I referenced before.  That's about all I have for cheap.  The rest comes down to spending resources on fleet spire consoles and upgrading your gear.  Just re-organizing your boff abilities though should get you off to a decent start.
DPS builds with an Engineer aren't impossible but if you want pure DPS you need a Tactical officer, there's just no replacement for a tac officers abilities when you want DPS.

First thing you need to do to up your DPS is fix your BOFF layout.  On my DPS build I'm using Omega 3, BFAW 2 and 3, Beta 1, 2 tac team 1, DEM 2 and EPW2.  Fill the rest of the slots with heals and you should be good to go.  After that buy and upgrade Vulnerability Locators form the Spire., it's not important to get them to epic but you want Mk XIV.  They will up your base damage as well as increasing you crit chance, they're not cheap but they are worth ever penny.

Personally I like dual beam banks up front on a forward facing ship for max DPS but that's more a matter of piloting skill and play style.
(04-21-2015, 03:03 PM)eaglescoutdjb Wrote: DPS builds with an Engineer aren't impossible but if you want pure DPS you need a Tactical officer, there's just no replacement for a tac officers abilities when you want DPS.

First thing you need to do to up your DPS is fix your BOFF layout.  On my DPS build I'm using Omega 3, BFAW 2 and 3, Beta 1, 2 tac team 1, DEM 2 and EPW2.  Fill the rest of the slots with heals and you should be good to go.  After that buy and upgrade Vulnerability Locators form the Spire., it's not important to get them to epic but you want Mk XIV.  They will up your base damage as well as increasing you crit chance, they're not cheap but they are worth ever penny.

Personally I like dual beam banks up front on a forward facing ship for max DPS but that's more a matter of piloting skill and play style.

What is DEM? Not sure what that stands for. As for vulnerability locators, my spire is currently on cool down for tier 1, and I don't believe we have any provisions, so that may not yet be possible.
Directed Energy Modulation, it improves shield penetration.  Get the Vulnerability Locators as soon as you can, they are cheaper to buy at Mk X and upgrade from there than buying Mk XII and upgrading.
Ok, thanks.
Also only use tac consoles in tac slots and use science/engineering slots for universal console like the Assimilated Module, Zero Point Energy Conduit and Plasmonic Leech.