Thoughts on the Exchange
The only thing I've found so far with a high profit margin is epic consoles.  The things you need to increase the chance of a mk ii hitting epic while upgrading cost 1,5 to 2 million and you can sell an epic mk xiv ap console for 18 to 20 million.  There's still luck involved because of upgrading quality but when it pays off it pays off big.
Unless you're in a hurry to sell something don't undercut the current price.  When items are listed for the same price the newest item posted is listed first so all you're doing by undercutting the lowest price is costing yourself EC.  If I have the EC to spare and I find something I want to sell undercut by a large margin I'll buy them up and relist them for the normal price.
Fixing the market by buying up the low priced outliers and relisting has worked well for me.

thanks, guys! Added these three points to the list...

On the Epic console thing, though... I upgraded a couple of consoles, but I wonder about the ROI on this... the odds of going Epic are fairly slim and the dilithium price can add up over time... just wondering if it's really "worth" it to chase upgrading consoles or if it's actually more like gambling... whereas selling the console itself may be a lot less ECs, but a guaranteed profit over the cost of materials.

I haven't crunched the numbers on this, though, so I have no idea...

Given that there is usually a fairly consistent EC to Dil conversion via key purchase and the associated cost of keys in Zen you could probably plot the expected ROI for stuff like that. I'm not sure epic consoles would be where I'd focus my time though. Most people have access to fleets which have good consoles via Embassy/Spire/Mine that can easily be upgraded to MkXIV for little investment and consoles don't really get a bonus for going epic.

First off, I don't think this is as profitable as it seems, since it is based on chance and upgrades are pricey... that said, this is just as assumption on my part and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Also, to Beardy's point, the best consoles in the game are not crafted ones, so it often takes a while for these things to sell (particularly, the high-end consoles)... but they *do* sell. I know, when I was trying the same thing, I let a couple of UR tac consoles go for the 1-2m range... but it took a while.

While I'm not trying to really do the math on it, where I'd start is:
~78 EC : 1 Dil (note 1)

From there, you need to know what you're investing in your consoles (include cost or cost of fabricating upgrades, dil cost, etc.)...

Here's how I'd crunch the numbers...
Cost of Mats for Console
+ Cost of Mats for Upgrade (or cost of Upgrade)
+ Dil Cost of Upgrade (*78 to convert to ECs)

Then, I'd multiply that by the total number of consoles and subtract that number (total EC cost of manufacturing) from the total gross revenue of selling the consoles (including the ones that stayed VR and/or UR)... divide that by the number of consoles and you have a rough bead on what your average profit is.

That said, these prices all vary a lot and it seems like a lot of work to figure out the profitability of something that I assume is marginal at best (when you factor in your 'failed' rarity upgrades)... so I'm not going to do the work, as mentioned above... but if someone else (eaglescoutdjb?) wants to crunch the numbers and it turns out to be profitable, I'm 100% on-board Smile

note 1:
1 Zen ~= 240 Dil (rough current Dil Exchange price)
1 Key = 125 Zen = 30k Dil
1 Key = 2.35m ECs (rough current Exchange price)
30k Dil ~= 2.35m ECs
1 Dil ~= 78 ECs

Check out the lobes on this guy Smile

(05-08-2015, 01:25 PM)puckalish Wrote: thanks, guys! Added these three points to the list...

On the Epic console thing, though... I upgraded a couple of consoles, but I wonder about the ROI on this... the odds of going Epic are fairly slim and the dilithium price can add up over time... just wondering if it's really "worth" it to chase upgrading consoles or if it's actually more like gambling... whereas selling the console itself may be a lot less ECs, but a guaranteed profit over the cost of materials.

I haven't crunched the numbers on this, though, so I have no idea...

To have the best odds of getting a tac console to epic you want to craft a mk II, use an experimental tech upgrade and a 2x research boost.  It's still not a guarantee that you'll hit epic in one try but the odds are pretty good.  Even if it takes 2 tries to hit epic an epic mk XIV AP consoles sells for about 3x what 2 experimental beam upgrades and 2 2x research boosts cost.  If I can't get it to epic before it hits mk XIV I just sell it as what ever it is, it's not worth the dilithium to keep trying.

Also, what the hell is up with the Zen exchange, every time I log in the price of Zen has gone up?
Well, I have thoughts about what's going on with the Dil Exchange and some of them lead me to conclude that I bought in too early.

There are a number of factors...
The most important of which, I think, is Delta Recruits. The rewards for creating delta recruits flooded the server with alts and new players. Each one of those 'beings' has an 8k+ dil cap/day. This deluge of new toons has effectively flooded the game with dilithium, driving the price up significantly for the foreseeable future. In a more short-term way, all the wicked rewards from Delta leveling have created an acute spike in Zen on each toon, as well. Dilithium abundance
Next, the release of all these new ships has created a strong demand for Zen... especially among some players who farm dil to buy Zen, thus pushing up the "value" of Zen. Zen demand
The Dilithium Weekend that just passed no doubt caused something of a bump in the available Dil out there, even sourced from folks who don't upkeep their alts (like me). I think this is a lesser factor than the latter two. Dilithium abundance
The Key sale and new lockboxes that just passed may have also positively influenced the value of Zen relative to Dil as some folks sought to trade in their Dil to buy keys... some of that abundance of Dil has persisted. Zen demand

I'm sure there are other factors, but I think those are the main ones...
In terms of what changes are here to stay, well... the Dilithium Exchange has always fluctuated a lot and new releases and such often play with the numbers significantly.

That said, some of these changes may take a very long time to shake out (the increase in the number of active toons refining Dil will only subside as people lose interest in the game and/or grinding)... also, considering how the Dil Exchange works, having all of these events occur nearly simultaneous means that there are a backlog of orders in there, so it's going to be a slow road to where I'm profitable converting stuff back into Zen. That said, it might be about time to sign up for a monthly subscription (I've been putting it off for so long, but, now, with 4 toons, having an account bank would be nice) and get to the getting while the getting is good with that stipend.

Otherwise, I'm not sweating it too much... I did buy in on the beginning of the bubble, so my losses won't be that much; I can call it tuition in STO finance school.

Heck, there was even a Zen sale mixed in there (I timed my last purchase around it), but, if you look at the Dil chart, you'll see how very temporary the effect was in light of all of the factors affecting the abundance of Dil and desire for Zen.

If you need some quick money sell Z-Particles.  I sold 500 of them in packs of 10 and made almost 40 million yesterday.