Crafting now that 9.5 is live
Crafting items actually generates a bit more xp now as well. A tier 2 personal shield takes 5 minutes and is worth 50xp, the day 9.5 hit it was only 10xp per item tier. So in theory you could be generating 12000xp per slot every 20 hours off of just the tier 2 shield.
I didn't take the time to look at higher tier items but I assume xp goes up based on time to craft / tier. Either way it's allot faster to micro manage crafting slots than wait the, as of now, 345 days to cap a skill.
Yeah, you can run crafting missions to get a bit of xp, but you'd have to sit there and do it all day long to get a decent amount of xp, plus you'll be burning through expensive resources in order to make cheap vendor trash. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would venture a guess that the materials you use to make the vendor trash are worth more than what you are making. All that being said, getting to 15 isn't too hard and that seems to be the most important level. They made getting to 20 difficult, but it isn't really necessary to get there.
(07-23-2014, 01:18 PM)martinison Wrote: Yeah, you can run crafting missions to get a bit of xp, but you'd have to sit there and do it all day long to get a decent amount of xp, plus you'll be burning through expensive resources in order to make cheap vendor trash. I haven't looked at the numbers but I would venture a guess that the materials you use to make the vendor trash are worth more than what you are making. All that being said, getting to 15 isn't too hard and that seems to be the most important level. They made getting to 20 difficult, but it isn't really necessary to get there.
I have to tinker with it a bit more but I'm sure there's a "sweet spot" for crafted goods to maximize xp per hour. As for material costs that's an unfortunate fact of modern MMO crafting... even at the top tiers rarely do you get as much for the final product as you get for the materials separately. I see STO crafting as a time sink / rep grind for unlocking traits that I may or may not ever actually use which is a shame. On the plus side it gives us a more tangible way of helping out new fleet members / alts by producing gear for them.

I think the real problem isn't so much the crafting as the material gathering and how random it is. You hunt around for a limited number of nodes to get a random amount and type of material... then to make it worse you get a random quality item from the crafting slot machine. Put the two together and you have materials worth more than the end product because people aren't interested in trying to make gear, rather they're interested in the trait unlock.

Who knows, as people get to higher skill levels it may create an abundance of "Ultra Rare" items... giving us an alternative to fleet gear and pushing rep gear a bit farther down the totem pole in the gear grind. It will still leave the early level items as redundant but at later stages...
Yeah, you hit on it with the randomness of the entire system. That is probably the thing I hate the most. I wouldn't be upset about a long grind if I knew at the end I'd be able to craft a specific type of gear with the specific mods that I want. That isn't how it works though. Even when you hit level 20 in a school, you will still have completely random mods on the gear that you make. It could realistically take you a month or more of crafting something to get a full set with the mods you want. Man, if I'm going to grind away for that long and put that many resources into something I at least want control over what I'm getting when I finally get to craft at the highest level.
Btw, I forgot to mention that I am working on a Crafting calculator.

Thanks for all the details, TP.

(07-23-2014, 04:31 PM)TacPaddy Wrote: Btw, I forgot to mention that I am working on a Crafting calculator.

Crafting Calculator now online!