Build Advice requested
Hello fleet!Starfleet
I've put together a build for PvE that I have had fun running with but I'm sure I can tweak it to get even better performance out of it, or make major changes to give me an even better time!

I would really appreciate it if I could get some of your wisdom on where to get the best out of what I have.
I really like running the MMSE ship and my toon is an Engineer.

A few notes just so you know where I'm at --
1. I started with STO right from the beginning but I took a break from STO from Season 5 all the way to Season 9. I'm loving all the changes and I have TONS of stuff to chew through now which is great. The downside is I have TONS to catch up on and wrap my head around. I'm not fully Tier 1 yet in any of the reputation systems but I'm working my way as I can. The fleet has so far been great and I'm glad I joined.
2. I'm not ready for PvP just yet. I'm happy to take suggestions on how to tweak my build for that but my primary use is PvE.

While I like the MMSE, would there be any other recommendations?
Here's the link to my build. Thanks for the time and I really appreciate the wisdom I know is about to come my way!
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?buil...essex_7048
Well, here are some quick ideas that shouldn't cost too much. Jam and scramble sensors aren't that useful in pve so I like to use those slots for hazard emitters and transfer shield strength. This will allow you to free up your engineering slots for directed energy modulation and emergency power to weapons which will help up your damage output. I'd replace the two beams with another dual heavy cannon and a turret. This will allow you to take full advantage of your cannon skills. For pve I'd replace cannon rapid fire with cannon scatter volley, which will work very well with your gravity well. If you can respec your skills, put 6 into graviton gens and particle gens to make full use of your grav well, which is your most important sci skills in pve. I'd also drop the prefire chamber in favor of another antiproton mag (or if you have the resources the fleet antiproton console available at the spire).

Those are the budget fixes. If you have the resources to spend then I would upgrade all your consoles to fleet variants (or at least start working on it). The other thing that will be really helpful is getting further into the reps so you can slot all 4 trait slots available.

I can't tell anything about your boffs and doffs from the link. Just keep in mind that you have the ability to get romulan tactical boffs with superior romulan operative from the embassy if you have the resources. This does help up your damage. Also be sure to use the best possible doffs on your roster (it's pretty easy to find ones that reduce the cooldown of your deflector powers such as grav well for instance).
(06-20-2014, 01:01 AM)martinison Wrote: Well, here are some quick ideas that shouldn't cost too much. Jam and scramble sensors aren't that useful in pve so I like to use those slots for hazard emitters and transfer shield strength. This will allow you to free up your engineering slots for directed energy modulation and emergency power to weapons which will help up your damage output. I'd replace the two beams with another dual heavy cannon and a turret. This will allow you to take full advantage of your cannon skills. For pve I'd replace cannon rapid fire with cannon scatter volley, which will work very well with your gravity well. If you can respec your skills, put 6 into graviton gens and particle gens to make full use of your grav well, which is your most important sci skills in pve. I'd also drop the prefire chamber in favor of another antiproton mag (or if you have the resources the fleet antiproton console available at the spire).

Those are the budget fixes. If you have the resources to spend then I would upgrade all your consoles to fleet variants (or at least start working on it). The other thing that will be really helpful is getting further into the reps so you can slot all 4 trait slots available.

I can't tell anything about your boffs and doffs from the link. Just keep in mind that you have the ability to get romulan tactical boffs with superior romulan operative from the embassy if you have the resources. This does help up your damage. Also be sure to use the best possible doffs on your roster (it's pretty easy to find ones that reduce the cooldown of your deflector powers such as grav well for instance).

Great input thank you! I'll work towards the suggestions you've provided.

What if I wanted to run a beam setup? torp rear or fore or just all beams?

I do like the cannon setup but there are some times when beams work for me.

Thanks again for your time and input!
Pick either cannons or beams and go with one; it doesn't really much matter as both can be effective in the right context. Beams are easy mode with BFAW, though since you are using a Vesta and have GW a cannon scatter combined with that will do just as well. You could do one torp fore but would lose out on damage for cannons that way. The torp would work better in an all-beams build as an extra punch you can bring to bear while broadsiding most of the time.