Scimitar high damage build
Hi all,

I have been trying to shed some light on a couple of instances where I have seen Scimitars doing 20k-25k DPS using the ACT parser. The best I have seen so far is 12k.

I posted in the STO forum, got the very "helpful" response that they can do 50k, and one even did 83k DPS, due to team work, math and skill.

I don't buy it.

Does anyone have any ideas of what good build can do that? I know about the Aux2Battery, I use that build. I have been told that Scimitars doing 25k+ is not an exploit but it really looks odd to me, when the average PUG does 3-5k.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give Smile
This is something I've asked myself too. I think, how is that even possible, then I see it actually happen. I can't vouch for the 50k plus, but I've been in CSE's with a pair of Scimi's doing 30K+ and watched them burn through each cube set in under 30 seconds. In fact, I was on Kang duty and they had the first cube down by the time I killed the last of the 4 Bird of Preys. I don't know how to get that high, but I did come across someone doing around 25K who was willing to share their build: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillpla...26kscimi_0 *be sure to check the description and notes section*

Honestly, I think a lot of it just boils down to having the right doffs and boffs. That seems to be the biggest difference between that build and my own (which only puts out around 15K at the moment). I've also noticed that your parsed dps will be higher in general when running with other high dps ships. Probably has to do with how quickly shields get dropped when everyone is hitting at high dps. If I remember right your crit rates are higher against exposed hulls, so the quicker shields drop the higher your crit rates will be and crit rates/crit severity play a huge role of high dps. I hope that helps some. I'm always looking for more info on building high dps so hopefully some more folks will be able to add to this.

Ah, one more thing I should add to this. It makes a huge difference using keybinds to automate your offensive boff abilities. Since you are using aux2bat I assume you've already done this, but it's great advice to newcomers. That alone can be the difference between 5k and 10k in some instances. It's important to continuously cycle your bridge powers in order to maximize your dps.
(02-14-2014, 03:56 PM)martinison Wrote: I've also noticed that your parsed dps will be higher in general when running with other high dps ships. Probably has to do with how quickly shields get dropped when everyone is hitting at high dps. If I remember right your crit rates are higher against exposed hulls, so the quicker shields drop the higher your crit rates will be and crit rates/crit severity play a huge role of high dps.
There are a few other things to account for, but that's a key one right there. Hits to exposed hull are devastating. Thank you for mentioning that.

The most overlooked variable, though, is piloting skill. These 20k+ ships aren't getting their results because the people flying them are mindlessly mashing buttons and flying in random directions. They're activating the right abilities at the right moment when in the right position to strike as many targets as closely as possible*. It's not uncommon to see people with good builds who aren't performing up to snuff, and then it turns out they just don't know how to fly their ships.

But back to teamwork - yes, that has a ton to do with it. I wouldn't put too much stock in that 83k parse, because that was a parse taken from a controlled environment: it was likely a carefully planned match with a specific route and specific roles played by everyone involved. Whoever got the 83k has a fine loadout, I'm sure, but they aren't going to deal that much dps every time, especially if they play other STF missions with different people.

That said, it is pretty amazing when you consider what people are able to pull off in this game. The envelope is constantly being pushed because curious (and unfortunately, sometimes arrogant) players want to see how far it will go, and they keep finding new ways to raise the limit of what can be achieved. Just don't look down on yourself if you're not part of the dps crowd....it can lead to an unhealthy obsession that will take all the fun out of the game.

* yeah, I'm a terrible pilot. My timing and ship positioning are laughable. The most I ever parsed with a fully loaded RomPlas beamboat (and I know how to hit out a ship, believe me) was what, 13k, 14k in ISE? But I'm fine with that. I can dispatch NPCs fairly quickly with little hassle, and I enjoy the game. I think enjoying the game is why we all play it in the first place, and it's easy to lose sight of that when you're in the dps race. Just my two energy credits.
(02-17-2014, 04:49 PM)redhotkurt Wrote: and it's easy to lose sight of that when you're in the dps race. Just my two energy credits.
And this is exactly why I gave up going after ultimate pew pews in this game and I enjoy it so much more now. I think once you get to a certain point in this game and you know how to load out a ship fairly well the dps doesn't really matter (except for perhaps NWS/HSE).
Hmm slightly off topic but anyone have a good parser they recomend, cant find my old one and you guys talking about this have me wondering how I can tweak my Dreadnought out with the new equipment.
im sorry im still trying to learn all this lingo, but what is a parser?
(02-17-2014, 10:52 PM)BigBadBarstow Wrote: im sorry im still trying to learn all this lingo, but what is a parser?
In response to Blakmage86 and BigBadBarstow: a parser scans raw data and organizes it so that it can be easily digested by human eyes. In gaming, DPS parsers are used to determine a player's damage per second by parsing the game's combat log.

Two of the more commonly-used parsers in STO are:

Advanced Combat Tracker (ACT)

Combatlog Reader
Thanks Red, I had been using the CombatLogParser (found it after a little more searching) But when I went to update it saw it hadnt been updated code wise in a long time. Ill have to try one of those out.
Yeah, have to agree. Focusing on the DPS race does take some of the fun out of the game. Especially if you like playing an engineering or science role. I'm not saying you can't get good dps out of those roles. I'm just saying that from a role playing perspective your not really able to play as a tank or healer or any of the other great roles that can come from those careers if you are focused entirely on dps. When it comes to the elite stf's, a team averaging 5000 can rather easily get through them and even in hse, averaging 10000 is plenty to easily get the optionals.

I also agree piloting skills are important. Knowing where to be and what to do make a difference.