Not feeling up to Elite STF's yet? Nonsense, you can do it anyway!
Big Grin 
Ever had that feeling, that you are not yet ready for Elite STFs? Was it, because you felt like having inappropriate Equipment? Well, we all started with "inappropriate" Equipment, so that is no longer an excuse. You'll probably have some questions. I'll try to answer them.

Why should I even do Elite STFs? First of all, the base reward of Elite STFs is 60 Omega Marks and that can raise to 75 Omega Marks, if you manage to get the optionals. You also get those precious Borg Neural Processors, which you will need for all that top-notch equipment, that you are so eager to get.

How should I do Elite STFs? Very simple. Do not PUG. Meaning do not enter public Queues to do Elite STFs. You risk losing the optionals or maybe even the mission itself, because people do not now what to do. Believe me, it happens more often than you would like. Instead, you should make use of the daily Elite Fleet STF events and do it only with Fleet members. It is far more efficient for every one. Don't hesitate to tell, if you are new to STFs. We will adapt our tactics accordingly to facilitate your abilities.

How would I know what to do? Simple again. This website offers the Walkthroughs, that you just need to read. Here are the URLs to the Walkthroughs:
How should I equip to keep up with the others? Do not worrry about that. Like I stated above, we all started with "inappropriate" equipment. I have the following advice for you. STO offers you three Space sets, that you can get relatively easy. Those Sets are My personal favorite of those is the Jem'Hadar Space Set and I recommend it to you, but ultimately the choice will be yours. When you equip your Ship, try to get at least rare (blue) Mk XI Weapons. That will make it easier for you. You can upgrade your Weapons later, for example by getting the Assimilated Borg Technology Set.

Also available to you is the Jem'Hadar Armoured Shroud Set. This is a nice starting set for Ground STF missions. For Ground missions it is imperative that you have at least a Frequency Remodulator (for free from the Replicator) as the Borg will adapt to your Weapons. Therefore you should also have a secondary Weapon of a different Energy type or a Melee Weapon, if you prefer that. The Synchronic Proton Distortion Prototype Assault Rifle for example has proven to be very efficient, when you are new to Ground STFs.
Along the road, you can get a better Remodulator by doing missions in the Defera Invasion Zone. The Loot there includes Crafting Materials like Fibro-Neural Interface Cabling, Cybernetic Armature and Nanopower Capacitors. You can use those to craft a lot of useful stuff: Crafting on Defera is no different from standard crafting, meaning the Crafting XP gained on Defera adds to your "standard" Crafting XP. There are daily Runs on Defera, so don't miss on that opportunity.

Anything else? Yes, on Elite difficulty you will suffer damage / injuries. So make sure, that you have Minor, Major and Critical Regenerators/Components in stock to repair/heal those in the field. You don't need to have those in your inventory. It will suffice, if you put them in your Bank.

One advice about purchasing equipment from the Task Force Omega Reputation System: be patient. I know, you want better equipment. But do not waste your Omega Marks on Mk X or Mk XI Equipment. Concentrate on maxing out the Reputation as fast as possible. Grab your extra rewards and then start directly with the Mk XII equipment. I know it will be tough to resist, but in the end you will benefit greatly from your patience.
Thanks for the confidence boost there mate! I guess why I worried about it so much is that I came from World of Warcraft. In WOW, if you even screw up an inch people will usually rain down insults and degrading names in your direction. No one likes to play under those conditions, especially when you are playing to relax. I wish that my play times where more inline with other fleet members being online. I'll probably have to PUG these- something that I'm not looking forward to. Well thanks again for the great post!

Cheers!
(08-26-2013, 09:47 PM)Markor Wrote: Thanks for the confidence boost there mate! I guess why I worried about it so much is that I came from World of Warcraft. In WOW, if you even screw up an inch people will usually rain down insults and degrading names in your direction. No one likes to play under those conditions, especially when you are playing to relax. I wish that my play times where more inline with other fleet members being online. I'll probably have to PUG these- something that I'm not looking forward to. Well thanks again for the great post!

Cheers!
There's a lot more elitism in WoW than STO. Not that there isn't in STO, but certainly not as much lol
Don't get me wrong, I love my Adapted MACO and Elite Fleet gear as much as the next guy (probably a little more since I kinda hoard gear) but I read a forum post maybe 3 months ago now where a team of folks in a fleet decided to show some of the newer players/less equipped that ESTFs were very playable under most circumstances with most gear. Actually, they did this to make two points:

1) ESTFs boil down to tactics. Normals can almost always be brute forced with DPS if the team is terrible and if you start your STF career this way you will achieve nothing but learn bad tactics and annoy folks you pug with/team from fleet. Knowing MRRMLL as a safe way to do CSE should be the basis for that particular mission and a mediocre DPS team can achieve the optional no problem.

2) You don't need [Adapted MACO Covariant Shield MK XXXXVII [Cap]x39 [Reg]x26 [Adapt]x99]. To prove this, they actually filmed a series of STFs just like we ran tonight (ISE, KASE, CSE) and they used Mk X common gear for shields, engines, weapons... The whole lot. Sure, you rely on your Boff powers a hell of a lot more and you have to accept that you WILL die but they achieved all 3 optionals with time to spare.

On a personal note I've love to try this out with some folks if anyone is up for it. Would be a fantastic challenge and equal proof to others in the fleets that gear isn't everything.
Makor, one thing I would say (and this is generally to anyone with non-max gear) is always be upfront if you have doubts. Very few people mind being made aware that they need to concentrate a bit more, but they do mind, I include myself in this, when you think all is well and after everything hits the fan someone says it's their first time.

Just to give an example to what tp is saying, I'm running really poor gear on Montara but still do elites in space. Blue mk x weaps and a mix of engine, shield and deflector that I've picked up. Still very doable.

As for chars, if you're an engi you most likely won't have agro too often and will have enough tools to keep going. If you're a tac then you will probably never get agro when under powered, unless you pick up a new target that no one else is shooting!

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
IMHO, a bad run with the fleet is BETTER than a good run with a PUG... This fleet is willing to teach and the members are willing and want to learn. I wish we ran more ESTF's like we used too, because I would much rather be in a fleet team, regardless of the outcome.
(08-27-2013, 11:11 AM)Hijaak Wrote: IMHO, a bad run with the fleet is BETTER than a good run with a PUG... This fleet is willing to teach and the members are willing and want to learn. I wish we ran more ESTF's like we used too, because I would much rather be in a fleet team, regardless of the outcome.
Your wish has been heard and granted, before you posted your reply. Smile
Thanks TP!!!! Let's get em going again! We ran them pretty hard and we have enough active members to run two groups solid.