STO Academy Forum
STOA Canon - Printable Version

+- STO Academy Forum (http://forum.stoacademy.com)
+-- Forum: Star Trek Online (http://forum.stoacademy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Creativity Club (http://forum.stoacademy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Thread: STOA Canon (/showthread.php?tid=5372)

Pages: 1 2

STOA Canon - James - 09-01-2018

Hello all,

Just a quick note -

We always love to see what stories our community has come up with for Star Trek and Star Trek Online, especially since Attilio and myself have written a few ourselves with more to come!

Our stories revolve very much around our Armada and now our flagship the USS Fortitude.

With the stories we have written and are currently writing, it is important to note that we have established an "STOA Canon," which unlike George Lucas, we are very protective about Wink

If you wish to write a story that involves the armada in any way (for instance using the Fortitude or the Fortitude Class ship, having Attilio/James or any other Admiral feature in the story etc), you should contact Attilio or myself to make sure it fits in canonically.

This is certainly not meant to stifle any of you and hopefully if you have already written stories with some of the above elements it won't change them, however it is important for it to be right - especially as Attilio and myself have many storylines already planned and started all of which fall into the "before and after" of the USS Fortitude.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks

James

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

RE: STOA Canon - codius1988 - 09-01-2018

Thank you very much for that...

In fact I was about to ask that concerning that. This is due to the fact I would like the Fortitude to be included in my stories.

Let me start if off by confirming the speed of the Fortitude. I read its Transwarp 12 to Transwarp 20. I guess the crew would be jealous of the ISS Adam Smith (It goes at Transwarp 20 to 34)

RE: STOA Canon - James - 09-01-2018

(09-01-2018, 12:37 PM)codius1988 Wrote:
Thank you very much for that...

In fact I was about to ask that concerning that. This is due to the fact I would like the Fortitude to be included in my stories.

Let me start if off by confirming the speed of the Fortitude. I read its Transwarp 12 to Transwarp 20. I guess the crew would be jealous of the ISS Adam Smith (It goes at Transwarp 20 to 34)
It's not relative to "in-game" speeds

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

RE: STOA Canon - CaptUntouchable - 04-21-2019

I'm new here, so forgive me if this is all obvious, but I'm curious about how much fleet stuff is canon, and how much of it is "game mechanics".

For example, do the different fleets (Omega/Infinity/etc) exist in canon, or are we all one big happy fleet, and those are a "necessary evil" because of how the game mechanics for fleets work? Are our fleet holdings the "one-and-only" - our Colony is the colony from "Melting Pot"; our Embassy is the Embassy to New Romulus, etc - or are there multiple colonies and embassies on those worlds that we are just one of? Is there any canon explanation for there potentially being multiple characters with TOS or Discovery origins?

Also, is there anywhere that canon information is written down, or does it exist purely in the minds of the people who have been writing it? I ask because I'm a bit of a wikiholic, so if a wiki of STOA canon was something that we'd be interested in having, I'd be more than happy to volunteer my time to help create something like that.

RE: STOA Canon - Attilio - 04-21-2019

Everything related to fleet canon can be found in these links

https://armada.stoacademy.com/books
https://fortitude.stoacademy.com/
https://armada.stoacademy.com/holdings

So far James and I have written the canon books and we haven't made any reference to the sub-fleets. In canon we're known as STOA. Just one big happy fleet. As for the holdings, each one is different. The link above describes them.

There are no plans for a wiki as that would require an additional account for members. Most likely further down the line I'm going to develop an addition to the site that would function similar to a wiki but more customized for our purposes.

RE: STOA Canon - CaptUntouchable - 04-22-2019

I'd already found the information you had linked. Unfortunately, it didn't provide an answer to my question, hence me asking it here.

As I said, I am trying to understand whether, for example, our Embassy on New Romulus is the Embassy on New Romulus. I understand its name, I understand why it was established and by whom, but what isn't clear is if it is the only Embassy on New Romulus, or if it is one of many. An Embassy on New Romulus appears as part of "The Temporal Front": as far as STOA canon is concerned, was that our Embassy where that happened, or is Spock Memorial one of several Embassies on New Romulus? The link above does not provide clarity on this. It isn't clear whether our Embassy, its name, origins, etc is expands on and fleshes out that one and only Embassy seen in the game... or if that Embassy is a different Embassy just up the street.

Similarly, I am still unclear on whether Hawking Colony is intended to be the first Lukari-Kentari Colony that was visited in "Melting Pot", or if it is merely another, similar colony located on the same planet. The language in the description leads me to think that it is the same colony ("the Lukari-Kentari Colony on Dranuur"), but there's a little room for interpretation there, so I wanted to be sure. After all, the Colony of Virginia is/was quite large: again, I was looking for clarification on whether our colony is the only colony.

Edit - Also, just for the sake of mentioning it: one of the online communities I am part of has a wiki integrated with their forums so that everything is the same login. If something wiki-adjacent is something you are likely to develop in the long run anyway, you might want to look into whether there is already a plugin/addon for MyBB that allows you to do this - it could save you a lot of work!

RE: STOA Canon - Attilio - 04-22-2019

(04-22-2019, 04:07 AM)CaptUntouchable Wrote: As I said, I am trying to understand whether, for example, our Embassy on New Romulus is the Embassy on New Romulus. I understand its name, I understand why it was established and by whom, but what isn't clear is if it is the only Embassy on New Romulus, or if it is one of many. An Embassy on New Romulus appears as part of "The Temporal Front": as far as STOA canon is concerned, was that our Embassy where that happened, or is Spock Memorial one of several Embassies on New Romulus? The link above does not provide clarity on this. It isn't clear whether our Embassy, its name, origins, etc is expands on and fleshes out that one and only Embassy seen in the game... or if that Embassy is a different Embassy just up the street.

Well considering that there's a giant statue of Spock outside the Embassy on New Romulus in game, I just assumed it was clear that they are one and the same.

(04-22-2019, 04:07 AM)CaptUntouchable Wrote: Similarly, I am still unclear on whether Hawking Colony is intended to be the first Lukari-Kentari Colony that was visited in "Melting Pot", or if it is merely another, similar colony located on the same planet. The language in the description leads me to think that it is the same colony ("the Lukari-Kentari Colony on Dranuur"), but there's a little room for interpretation there, so I wanted to be sure. After all, the Colony of Virginia is/was quite large: again, I was looking for clarification on whether our colony is the only colony.

Your assumption is correct.

(04-22-2019, 04:07 AM)CaptUntouchable Wrote: Edit - Also, just for the sake of mentioning it: one of the online communities I am part of has a wiki integrated with their forums so that everything is the same login. If something wiki-adjacent is something you are likely to develop in the long run anyway, you might want to look into whether there is already a plugin/addon for MyBB that allows you to do this - it could save you a lot of work!

All that you see here is going away. I've been developing a whole new site from scratch, forum and all. So a MyBB plugin wouldn't help lol. Originally I had used phpBB just to get a forum up quickly and I recall connecting it's account system with my own was a pain. Later during a site revamp I switched to MyBB, but even that account connection wasn't perfect. There are still bugs and maintainability issues today. So a whole new site is in the works. Custom built from the ground up. No more relying on 3rd parties.

RE: STOA Canon - CaptUntouchable - 04-22-2019

(04-22-2019, 04:38 AM)Attilio Wrote: Well considering that there's a giant statue of Spock outside the Embassy on New Romulus in game, I just assumed it was clear that they are one and the same.

Or maybe there was just a sale on Spock statues that week? Tongue

I wouldn't say that it's obvious, though. Whenever a guild in a game like this has their own lore/canon, there's always some degree of suspension of disbelief going on. The guild can't control the content that is in the game, after all. A fleet that I was in years back had an ellaborate story for their Fleet Starbase, which included it being in a completely different location. In the game, the Starbase was still in the same place, but canon asked members to suspend disbelief and pretend that it was somewhere else. In SWTOR, or ESO, everyone has the exact same houses, but you suspend disbelief, you pretend that your house and your guildmate's house are in different places despite walking through the same door to get there, etc.

If I had to make a guess, I would probably have assumed that they were one and the same, but I figured it was probably prudent to ask and make sure anyway. Smile

And whoof. Don't get me started on getting logins to shake hands with logins. I don't know if you're familiar with Nova (it is used a lot by Star Trek roleplaying / writing communities), but I have a colleague trying to make that shake hands with a guild management system. He's got it under control, but it's the kind of stuff that makes my eyes bleed, lol!

RE: STOA Canon - Glebben - 04-23-2019

Multiple, miniature parallel dimensions that splinter off from the "main" universe, where every fleet is the only fleet and well-travelled locations like starbases have multiple "instances" that can be easily travelled between. It's caused by the fabric of space and time being thoroughly pockmarked by far-too-fast warp travel, wormholes, time travel and artificial singularities. It's not a major problem... for now.

RE: STOA Canon - James - 04-23-2019

(04-23-2019, 03:09 PM)Glebben Wrote: Multiple, miniature parallel dimensions that splinter off from the "main" universe, where every fleet is the only fleet and well-travelled locations like starbases have multiple "instances" that can be easily travelled between. It's caused by the fabric of space and time being thoroughly pockmarked by far-too-fast warp travel, wormholes, time travel and artificial singularities. It's not a major problem... for now.

It's the only logical explanation