STO Academy Forum
Playing a klingon. - Printable Version

+- STO Academy Forum (http://forum.stoacademy.com)
+-- Forum: Star Trek Online (http://forum.stoacademy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Fleet Discussions (http://forum.stoacademy.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Playing a klingon. (/showthread.php?tid=4807)

Pages: 1 2 3

Playing a klingon. - MichaelGill - 10-30-2017

I have always played a Federation Human. I am thinking about creating a Klingon to play. Of coarse I want her to be a member of this fleet. (so I will need an invite when completed) 
 I could use some pointers from members who currently play a klingon on how to start her off on the right foot. How big a difference will it be from what I usually play? Also, what should I strive for in a good Klingon character?

RE: Playing a klingon. - James - 10-30-2017

There aren't a lot of mitigating factors - this will really just come down to Career choice.

You will experience different aspects of the story arcs of course but that is to be expected.

On your way up the ranks you will have a less varied ship choice than you would FED - mainly focused around Birds of Prey and raiders. At T6 there are many KDF equivalents of FED ships so it should be easy to find your way once there

RE: Playing a klingon. - MichaelGill - 10-30-2017

I think it will be a fun change of pace. Hopefully it's as fun as my Fed character is. Thanks James.

RE: Playing a klingon. - dammitjim76 - 10-30-2017

The KDF side has a decent selection of battlecruisers too, so if you go the engineer route, you'll have some good options there. However, there is a disturbing lack of science ships for KDF players, so unless you have some zen to burn on the T5 and T6 sci ships that do exist, I'd probably recommend going the tac/eng route.

James is correct about the storyline as well. You'll get a different perspective on some missions, as well as a number of KDF-only missions at the beginning. Personally, I think the KDF arc is one of the better ones, and I've always enjoyed playing it.

RE: Playing a klingon. - TacPaddy - 10-30-2017

I started to play as a Klingon a long time ago, when Klingons still were an unlock for PvP. You started at Level 25 so the leveling phase was rather short. I love the Cloaking Devices and the Vo'Quv sparked my love for Carriers. That all changed however, when Legacy of Romulus was released and P'Triq was born.

My advice is this: Try it. Play the Tutorial and try different Ship types as you level. If you don't like it, you can still use the Toon to grind Colony provisions and help the Legion. Wink

RE: Playing a klingon. - MichaelGill - 10-31-2017

(10-30-2017, 08:51 PM)TacPaddy Wrote: I started to play as a Klingon a long time ago, when Klingons still were an unlock for PvP. You started at Level 25 so the leveling phase was rather short. I love the Cloaking Devices and the Vo'Quv sparked my love for Carriers. That all changed however, when Legacy of Romulus was released and P'Triq was born.

My advice is this: Try it. Play the Tutorial and try different Ship types as you level. If you don't like it, you can still use the Toon to grind Colony provisions and help the Legion. Wink
I will have to give it a try. I see no reason I wouldn't enjoy it. I have always been a Klingon fan. Thanks TP.

RE: Playing a klingon. - MichaelGill - 11-17-2017

Two weeks in. Now a Dahar master. Love my KDF character.

RE: Playing a klingon. - TacPaddy - 11-17-2017

(11-17-2017, 01:17 AM)MichaelGill Wrote: Two weeks in. Now a Dahar master. Love my KDF character.
Congrats on qualifying for another Commendation. Now to make a RRF character. Big Grin
Live Long and Prosper

RE: Playing a klingon. - MichaelGill - 11-17-2017

(11-17-2017, 05:39 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: Congrats on qualifying for another Commendation. Now to make a RRF character.  Big Grin
Live Long and Prosper
That's what I am thinking. Then I will have a complete set. lol.

RE: Playing a klingon. - TacPaddy - 11-17-2017

(11-17-2017, 10:57 AM)MichaelGill Wrote: That's what I am thinking. Then I will have a complete set. lol.
Do it wisely for yet another Commendation. Big Grin

sent from TP's Communicator