STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Tanking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Aside from torpedo spread, beams at will and maybe cannons scatter volley, what should I look for for grabing agro to keep the dps of the group from dieing
Increase your threat skill in the skill tree. You can also buy threat scaling science consoles at fleet embassies which can increase your threat even more. To be honest, threat is the game changer. With it you can really distract the enemy, just make sure you have plenty of healing abilities to be able to handle all the incoming damage.
thanks I needed the help, and Attilio did you get my ingame mail about joining the fleet
And concentrate on either beams or cannons in each ship, have tac boffs set up for that. Mon'T has a tac boff for the beam boat and one for the cannon ships. Both have tac team 1 so they can fill a new ensign slot, too.

Sent from my HUAWEI U8815 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I've found that distance to the enemy counts too. Remember that agro is somewhat determined by damage you're dealing and damage goes up as you get closer, peaking around 2 km.

My Eng (Feanor) is a solid tank in a beam boat, i fly around 5km from a tac cube with good results. If you're going to tank I'd say go beams so you can keep moving and firing without having to fly torwards your enemy.
And beams have the best dpS to range ratio than cannons, too

Edit - outside of 5km, beams do a higher percentage of their damage than cannons do

(06-25-2013, 04:30 PM)Paladin1127 Wrote: [ -> ]thanks I needed the help, and Attilio did you get my ingame mail about joining the fleet
When did you send it? I was just in the game and didn't see anything. You can send it again if you want.
Ok I will, I got all my alts in the fleet and I wasn't sure if I had access on the forums as a fleet member
Fun little trick.... All my mines are transphasic (extra damage too!) and set to autofire..... make a possibly suicidal run into a group of enemies, launch as many mines as you can, then use Ramming Speed and Abandon Ship (in that order). The epicest battle plan I ever had... and it works.
Healing is super important, too. If you aren't cross-healing in your team.... you're working at hugely reduced effectiveness. Also, threat scaling has no effect in PvP.