STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Gamer's rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I had just completed most of the rebuilding of my gaming rig, I ask what you all prefer for cooling your CPU, fan/heat sink or water block?

ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
As long as I have plenty of movement and I'm not overclocking stock heat sink and fan works fine for me.
I literally have an air conditioner just for my desktop.... it heats up really fast.
I have the stock fan of the Intel Core I5 3350P, cools quite nicely. Before that I had an AMD FX watercooling, but it crashed.
So I'd stick up with the air fan if I were you ( maybe Coolermaster or else ).
I use liquid cooling myself.
Thanks for the info guys, I have always used fans and looking at a Zalman fan due to the slim design, but Corsair makes a nice water block as well.
Water is much better for cooling all high-heat FRU's, if you can afford it. If you're going water for the first time there are some things you can do to avoid heartbreak later:

-Don't cheap-lick your loop. From tubing-blocks-pump-fittings. Spend the money at the start for quality parts to avoid costly failures later.

-DO NOT use colored coolant. No matter what the bottle says, the particles that supply the liquids tint WILL cause problems with fine impingement structures that are in modern CPU blocks and otherwise gum up the works. Straight distilled water with silver (killcoils and/or silver plated fittings) will keep your loop nice and bug free.

-For fittings use compressions with silicone O-rings. Yes, they are more expensive than barbs, but they also take the guesswork out of attaching your tubing.

-Make SURE you research water cooling before you spend a dime. I've water cooled my computers for 13-years now, buying on average a new computer every year. As a hobby in a hobby I find custom water cooling (meaning I source and assemble all of my parts) fun, functional AND rewarding, but it can be expensive if done to a high standard. As an example, my current loop cost me about $700.

2xfull cover (dissipates all heat sources on my cards) GPU blocks
1 CPU block
2xhigh-pressure, 100k-hr MTBF delivery pumps with a housing that makes it possible for them to discharge serially. 2 pumps means high head pressure and redundancy.
2x3x120mm all copper-core radiators with silicone gaskets, 4th gen designed for computer applications.
15-feet of anti-microbial vinyl tubing, designed for computer applications. 2 solid silver killcoils positioned in a 20-ounce reservoir.
16 varied compression fittings, all silver-plated.
6xHigh static pressure fans for the radiators in pull configuration.

All of this in a custom-cut case designed for water cooling. Know what you're getting into BEFORE you go water, please. FYI, I've had one major leak. It took out 4 HDD's.
Macbook Pro w/ Retina
Bootcamp Partition

That is all..... Smile

ALL my stuff runs smooth as silk!
Using on-board graphics Mayhem?
A nice and easy water cooling solution is Corsair's all-in-one Hydro series, not as good as custom built water cooling but does the job Smile

Andy
(06-17-2013, 02:05 PM)Rebo00 Wrote: [ -> ]Using on-board graphics Mayhem?
A nice and easy water cooling solution is Corsair's all-in-one Hydro series, not as good as custom built water cooling but does the job Smile

Andy
I am using a AMD Radeon HD 6770 right now, but I want to upgrade to the HD 7850.