STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Fun with Duty Officer Assignments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Holograms are so much more lifelike nowdays. They like to start fights, get drunk...

...and impersonate Changelings far too well...

And this one's just insulting.

Damn, better get some more prisoners...

...and some competent scientists...

You sir are a genius! I never considered using the holograms for the missions where you execute doffs. Kill them off then just buy them again.
Lol...I somehow got two exocomps, and like to use them to play three dimensional chess. Instant win! Even better is sending them both for "drinks on the town." Smile
Someone will have to enlighten me.... because I am lost. I don't think I fully understand the DOFF system, all I know is that I pick up every Diplomatic mission that's available in each sector I travel... that's about all I know.
(05-22-2013, 03:30 PM)Hijaak Wrote: [ -> ]Someone will have to enlighten me.... because I am lost. I don't think I fully understand the DOFF system, all I know is that I pick up every Diplomatic mission that's available in each sector I travel... that's about all I know.

Ok, brief overview of DOFFs. Duty Officers are the junior officers that run around trying to keep your ship from falling apart and making the ensigns' lives hell. They can either be set as active space or ground officers, in which case they can contribute their own special abilities (e.g. cooldown is reduced for a bridge officer's ability), or they can be assigned tasks of their own. These tasks can bring their own rewards. They can be told to run off and haggle for rare commodities, make diplomatic overtures towards minor races, engage in military offensives, all manner of things. As each task is accomplished, you also get experience in a particular field (e.g. diplomacy or science) which allows you to do bigger and more lucrative tasks. You can generally just launch them on their tasks and they run off and do it; the only action required on your part then is to collect the rewards when finished (a task can take anywhere from minutes to 3 days). Each task will have its own requirements - some may require a special type of officer, some require materials (for example, surveying may require astrometric probes, charging a strange alien artifact requires exotic particle traces).

If you go into your duty officer panel, you'll see a "current map" option which will list several tasks. You can also click on "Department Heads" to find even more tasks.

To get more duty officers, you can get a free batch from your faction's academy tutors every few days, buy them on the exchange or sometimes get rare special ones from doing special duty officer assignments. You can also trade in unused, low-rated ones for better ones in exchange for the all-important dilithium.

If you click on your rank in the top-left of the screen and select commendations, you can see your ranks in the various fields. Click on each one to see the benefits of ranking up in them.

Does that make sense?
Yea, I got all that... just thought there was something special. Smile
It's great for grinding dil and ec...if you choose the right assignments, it's basically free money every few hours.
Is there any cap on num. of DOff assignments per day or week? I still haven't hit any snags on DOff assignments (no deaths, serious injuries, or other damage caused), but I still don't know...

Also... Orion "entertainment hologram"... What kind of entertainment? XD
As far as I know, there's no limit on the number per day/week, only on how many you can have running at any one time. It's usually 20 (or 23 if you purchase the extra slots from fleet), but if they're low-level assignments I've managed up to about 25 at a time.

And don't ask about the Orion entertainment hologram. Think I conned a Ferengi trader to get that.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Orion_Entertain...ncommon%29

Just be glad the fabled Orion pheromones don't work so well in hologram form...
(05-30-2013, 11:52 PM)Xakthul Wrote: [ -> ]Is there any cap on num. of DOff assignments per day or week? I still haven't hit any snags on DOff assignments (no deaths, serious injuries, or other damage caused), but I still don't know...

Also... Orion "entertainment hologram"... What kind of entertainment? XD

A few more interesting assignment results...

Borg drones. Serious business.

Archeology. Also serious business.

And I discovered why Jem'Hadar don't drink. They can't handle it.