STO Academy Forum

Full Version: STO on Windows 8?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I just have a quick question. My friend just got a new laptop with Windows 8, but STO won't work on it. Whenever they try to play it will let them take 2 steps and then says "server not responding" for like 30 seconds and keeps doing that to the point where they can't shoot or do anything at all. I have run the game in every compatibility mode Windows 8 offers but it still doesn't work for them. Do any of you guys play on Windows 8, and if so, how did you get it to work?
I sometimes get the server not responding thing on Windows 7.... I just attributed it to PWE instabilities. I was running this perfectly on Windows 8.... I switched back to 7 for Blacklight: Retribution. They introduced a patch that killed Windows 8 compatibility.
Check your firewall settings. Built in W8 firewall might be killing the connection.
Try just downgrading to windows 7, windows 8 is horrible
(05-08-2013, 07:12 PM)Wonvertu Wrote: [ -> ]Check your firewall settings. Built in W8 firewall might be killing the connection.
I hadn't thought of that. I went into their firewall settings and changed a few things, but it didn't make any difference unfortunately.
(05-08-2013, 08:32 PM)Jstagg Wrote: [ -> ]Try just downgrading to windows 7, windows 8 is horrible
I agree. I wouldn't want W8, but its my friend's laptop and they like it!

I also tried turning down the quality of the video in the game, and that didn't do anything either...
You using a wireless connection? I have had some issues on wireless with the game.
Also some laptops just can't handle the video demands of a game. Even a relatively low-demand game like STO.
I'm using Windows 8 and it works just fine. I run it through Steam, no problems at all. Try that?
Maybe also check the running as admin - if it's trying to make changes and access things, Windows might throw a tantrum.
I always use a wireless connection and have always used my laptop for this game. We both use the same network because I play the game at their house too, so its not the internet connection. Also, they play the game fine on their old Windows 7 laptop. Their new laptop has better specs than mine, so I don't think it's the computer itself that's the problem either.

I"ll look into admin settings...

Edit: Running the game as administrator sadly had no effect. I guess I'll post a thread in STO's forum. Thanks everyone for your good ideas.