STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Temporal Science Vessels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking into the Temporal Science Vessels lately, and have some questions--hoping someone here can help out!

First of all, I'm not going to hold my breath getting one from a lock box--they're pretty rare from what I understand. So the simplest way to go is the exchange--where they're currently going for around 200,000,000. Unfortunately, I'm a silver subscriber with an ec cap of 10M. So, for those of you who are running one of these lovely ships--is it worth it to buy the ec cap and grind away until I get the ec?

Also, I'm torn between the Fed and FDF versions of the ship--my Fed toon has more use for it, but the KDF version looks great. If I buy the requisition pack, can I mail it between characters, or do I need to buy it with the character I want to use it with? (I assume it becomes the ship for whichever faction I unbox it with).

Finally, am I missing something, or is the KDF lacking in science ships (except for C-Store ships)? Looks like my best option is a bird of prey...

TacPaddy

(04-09-2013, 01:13 AM)tobiasosir Wrote: [ -> ]I've been looking into the Temporal Science Vessels lately, and have some questions--hoping someone here can help out!

First of all, I'm not going to hold my breath getting one from a lock box--they're pretty rare from what I understand. So the simplest way to go is the exchange--where they're currently going for around 200,000,000. Unfortunately, I'm a silver subscriber with an ec cap of 10M. So, for those of you who are running one of these lovely ships--is it worth it to buy the ec cap and grind away until I get the ec?

Also, I'm torn between the Fed and FDF versions of the ship--my Fed toon has more use for it, but the KDF version looks great. If I buy the requisition pack, can I mail it between characters, or do I need to buy it with the character I want to use it with? (I assume it becomes the ship for whichever faction I unbox it with).

Finally, am I missing something, or is the KDF lacking in science ships (except for C-Store ships)? Looks like my best option is a bird of prey...
While I am no expert on the Temporal Science Vessels, I advise you to buy the EC Cap anyway. You will soon find out, that it will be worth it. Why? When you reach Level 50, it will be easy to get Energy Credits (1 hour of Tour the Universe will grant you at least a million EC), that you will soon reacht the 10 million limit. Also when you do Foundry missions, the Loot from those easily sells for up to 1 million ECs as well.

If you buy a Ship from the Exchange, you should take a close look on its description. Some can only be unboxed by Federation characters, some only by KDF characters. However, there are also Ships that can be unboxed by all characters. In any case choose wisely, because once it is unboxed, the Ship is bound to the unboxing Character.

The Ship type on the KDF side differ a bit from the Federation side. I think, the Ships that fit the Science role most are the Support Vessels, which are only available for ZEN in the C-Store. There are Fleet versions of those, but those again require Fleet Ship Modules. If you are lucky, you can get those for Energy Credits off the Exchange. If not, then you can get those for ZEN from the C-Store.
Hmm...I'll probably pick up the ec cap soon, then. I'm actually pretty close to the 10M cap now anyway, on both characters.

I think I'll stay away from science on the KDF side, for the most part. I managed to find a boff with Viral Matrix III though, so I don't want that to go to waste. I do have some fleet modules (was lucky enough to find them in a lock box) and was thinking of the fleet Ning'tao when I reach Admiral--that will serve. Plus, i can swap my boffs and make it what I want. Smile
My primary Fed character is a sci in a Wells, and my secondary KDF character is a Sci, currently in a Peghqu'.

I used a different strategy to acquire the Wells. I've been hoarding cash to buy keys off the exchange, and also hoarding dilithium. I finally lucked out recently, and got the Wells. Now I'm saving up to get keys to acquire Lobi, so I can get all the associated goodies.

I find the Wells to be absolutely worth it. I have not tried the Vesta, which I understand is also a very nice ship, but the Wells suits my playstyle. It's maneuverable, tougher than the Recon Sci I was using before, and it's got two universal boff slots, so you can set it up to your own specifications.

On the KDF side, yes, they have a different flavor. The Varanus, which you have to purchase from the C-store, is equivalent to a Recon Science Vessel, with a nice console. The Korath Temporal Science Vessel is basically a reskinned Wells, with the same performance and difficulty of acquisition. The Vo'Quv is also somewhat science-y, although it lacks the Sensor Analysis ability. Personally, I don't really like the carrier playstyle.

I've been using the Peghqu' as a sci-scort. Apart from the lousy shield strength and somewhat subpar maneuverability, I find it to be a great ship if you exploit all the KDF strengths, such as cloaking. Some of the weaknesses of the vessel will probably be ameliorated by acquiring top-tier space sets. Currently I'm just using generic purple MKXII space equipment off the exchange.

The ultimate goal of course, is to have fun. For me, I try to do something different with each character, so my KDF sci is not the same as my Fed sci, etc.

TacPaddy

Any particular reason for using a large font? Wink
(04-09-2013, 05:38 PM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Any particular reason for using a large font? Wink
Nope! I have no idea how that happened. I'll try to edit it.

(04-09-2013, 07:08 PM)Chogokin Wrote: [ -> ]Nope! I have no idea how that happened. I'll try to edit it.
Okay, seems to be under control now. I often switch to a larger font size on my monitor when browsing the web, due to the fact that my monitor is rather far away from the keyboard due to the construction of my desk, and just the general fact that my eyes aren't what they used to be. I've never had a font blow up on me in a post before, though.
The more I think about it, the more I want to go for the Wells--it's also something nice for me to work toward, and incrementally moving toward a goal is the thing I like most about this kind of game. Eventually, I'd like one for my Fed toon and another for my coming Romulan--gives me lots of time to get it together. Smile

I've been pondering the Vo'Quv as well for my last free ship. I've never played a carrier and would hate to pay for one only to find out i didn't like it. But the turn rate of 5 really turns me off. I think, overall, I'm just going to downplay the science role for my KDF character. He's an engineer anyway, and I lean toward the crusiers even with my science Fed toon.
(04-09-2013, 09:11 PM)tobiasosir Wrote: [ -> ]The more I think about it, the more I want to go for the Wells--it's also something nice for me to work toward, and incrementally moving toward a goal is the thing I like most about this kind of game. Eventually, I'd like one for my Fed toon and another for my coming Romulan--gives me lots of time to get it together. Smile

I've been pondering the Vo'Quv as well for my last free ship. I've never played a carrier and would hate to pay for one only to find out i didn't like it. But the turn rate of 5 really turns me off. I think, overall, I'm just going to downplay the science role for my KDF character. He's an engineer anyway, and I lean toward the crusiers even with my science Fed toon.
There are a ton of good KDF cruisers, including some with a mix of maneuverability, fighter bays, etc. The Kar'Fi, for example is nice, or the Mirror Vor'cha.

TacPaddy

If you are torn between the Vo'Quv and another free Ship, then I like to tell you, that you can buy the Mirror version of the Vo'Quv from the Exchange for a very good price (less than 500k EC). Maybe this will help you in making a decision.
Man, I totally wish I would have read this post before opening my Vo'quv box from using my Master Keys... I would have given you one!!!! I plan on opening some more of my boxes this weekend, so if you haven't purchased one yet, I'll give you one if I get another.
Pages: 1 2