STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Star Trek: Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TacPaddy

So, I watched Discovery on Netflix yesterday. I'm still not sure how to judge it. One thing is for sure, the german dubs sucks again. However, there is one thing that I already love about it. You can watch it with klingon subtitles.  Big Grin
I saw the first episode, cbs should have had both of them for everyone to see. So I only had the one episode to go by.  I am not going to pay for cbs access.  

I barely could read the subtitles (they really need to put them in front of things that are darker then the letters). 

I didn't get much of a feel for the characters, they talked like robots and really I didn't care for the first officer. 

I don't like the tone they are going for. Way too dark and I am tired of the war motif that sci is starting to be about. 

When the DVD's come to the library I will check it out to get a better feel for it. But honestly it didn't feel like Star Trek to me.  But like I said I will wait for the library to have it, to give it another chance.
Episode 1 broke my heart a little bit as I just didn't feel convinced by it. It felt like it should have been a film rather than a TV show, and there wasn't a lot of context for certain things (perhaps I just wasn't that well read about it).

However, I carried on into Episode 2 and I was delighted! Definitely looking forward to next Monday!
I think the first was more of a "character introduction" more than any thing. The acting was a bit dry. The story direction does have good possibilities. The second episode was much better. The action and acting improved greatly and the story line blew up. I am also looking forward to ep3.
This pretty much summarizes the trainwreck. (NSFW)

Just a reminder of what Trek "fans" were saying TNG was coming out. Just goes to show you never know.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk
(09-28-2017, 01:44 AM)dammitjim76 Wrote: [ -> ]Just a reminder of what Trek "fans" were saying TNG was coming out. Just goes to show you never know.

Sent from my SM-J327T1 using Tapatalk

there is one seriously major flaw in your logic of that analogy: there wasn't any internet or twitter or youtube back then. without them, it would have been an even bigger shock to find out about all the controversies and blatant disregard to everything that came before in the canon of Trek.

With the internet, and the subsequent leaks, firings, and delays, it should have actually helped lessen the shock factor, but it hasn't. The production team had ample opportunities to take in all the critical reception to polish the product they wanted to give us, but the result should be clear by now: Bad Robot is Bad for the longevity of Trek. At least Cryptic had the fortitude to pay extra for usage rights to the prime canon material.

Anyways, I think I've figured out Bad Robot's strategy on PWNing both Star Trek and Star Wars:
Being an "old timer". I doubted the new Trek (TNG) when it came out. Never watched until it was already done and in syndicated reruns. What a huge mistake. I have learned to love Trek in any and all forms regardless of continuity. These are human made and any thing human made has flaws. I only hope they stay true to Roddenberry's dream. I will give it a chance and hope they create some thing worth our interest.
(09-28-2017, 04:02 AM)Akimalyn2380 Wrote: [ -> ]there is one seriously major flaw in your logic of that analogy: there wasn't any internet or twitter or youtube back then. without them, it would have been an even bigger shock to find out about all the controversies and blatant disregard to everything that came before in the canon of Trek.

With the internet, and the subsequent leaks, firings, and delays, it should have actually helped lessen the shock factor, but it hasn't. The production team had ample opportunities to take in all the critical reception to polish the product they wanted to give us, but the result should be clear by now: Bad Robot is Bad for the longevity of Trek. At least Cryptic had the fortitude to pay extra for usage rights to the prime canon material.

Anyways, I think I've figured out Bad Robot's strategy on PWNing both Star Trek and Star Wars:

We're still talking about "media" as a whole - back then it was print media, now it's social and online media. The outlet is still the same just a different variation. People will still have opinions and will always use an outlet. Print media was the outlet of the time for TNG, and the internet is the outlet now - so I unfortunately do not agree with you there