STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Upgrading rare hangar frigates to elite -- worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
OK, so I have the Vorgon carrier and two rare Vorgon Echentis Frigates. I see I can upgrade them to elite in the fleet store. So far so good. However, I don't see a massive advantage considering the cost (~78k in dil for the two?). The specs seem the same apart from an ability upgrade from Dispersal Pattern Alpha I to III. I've Googled this and can find nothing that suggests there's any upgrade in firepower or survivability. Is that really it or am I missing something?
You don't necessarily have to put the Vorgon frigates on the ship. You can purchase other pets as well and they should be able to be equipped. Some are only able to be equipped on certain ships, though, i.e. Jem Hadar attack ships can only be put on the Jem Hadar Dreadnought, Xindi frigates can only go on the Xindi carrier, etc.
i wouldn't spend the dil to upgrade.  Use that dil on better ship equipment and stuff.  The carrier pets shouldn't be your main source of damage anyway and I think you are right in not being able to justify the upgrade.
(07-17-2017, 10:08 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: [ -> ]i wouldn't spend the dil to upgrade.  Use that dil on better ship equipment and stuff.  The carrier pets shouldn't be your main source of damage anyway and I think you are right in not being able to justify the upgrade.
Don't be too hasty with that statement! For a lot of the slower moving ships (atrox and the Jupiter being prime examples) your fighters are a great source of damage. Especially when the slow movers are really only reliable with beams, the right small craft makes all the difference if they have hold powers, and even those that can deal kinetic damage on your behalf

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

TacPaddy

(07-17-2017, 10:08 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: [ -> ]The carrier pets shouldn't be your main source of damage anyway
What? Think about the purpose of a Carrier. A Carrier in STO (and I mean those with two Hangar Bays) is to "project power" (just like RL Carriers). If you do love Carriers, then having Elite Pets is not an IF but a WHEN.

To answer the question of the OP. Dispersal Pattern Alpha III is definitely preferable to Dispersal Pattern Alpha I, when it comes to Mines. I haven't seen the full Stats of the Elite Vorgon Echentis Frigates yet, but I can tell you, that two pairs of Elite Frigate Pets are usually the thing to have on a Carrier (if available).
I agree. On a carrier, you shouldn't be your own main source of damage at all. You won't be able to dps enough nor take enough damage to be effective.

I do like the vorgon pets, very good at killing stuff. My main issue is that they are so crushingly slow - full impulse for a few seconds and wait a minute for them to arrive. Better to respawn them. Is that now all pets, or just these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My experience with my Tholian Recluse was that getting the fleet elite pets made a significant difference to how quickly I annihilated my foes - i've never used a dedicated DPS tracker but just seeing how long it takes to do a disable beam portal thing in the badlands or the klingon weapon in the Undine zone gives me a fair way of estimating effectiveness of builds for PvE
Thanks for the thoughts. It's early days yet but my two rare frigates seem to be packing a reasonable punch and don't die too early. Then again, I've only done a few shakedown patrols in the Beta Quadrant. In my mind I'm treating the ship as a sort of mini-mobile starbase chucking out frigates, probes and mines to do the dirty work and using the Carrier's Mk XIV tet beams and omnis for self-protection.

I'm guessing that the only way to determine whether elite upgrades to the frigates are going to hit harder is just to bite the bullet and buy them . . . Maybe later I can buy other pets and compare.

I've played with a beam build, torp build and cannon build on previous ships. This Carrier concept is different again in terms of play style, isn't it. Fun, though.
could always jump onto the Tribble server and do an Ultimate Test Upgrade run through Japori to see what they could do at epic without wasting any real dil...

TacPaddy

You can't upgrade Hangar Pets. So at best they are ultra rare.

sent from TP's Communicator
Pages: 1 2 3 4