STO Academy Forum

Full Version: space sets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am slowly grinding my rep to acquire the Iconian space set..... what i'll call the "defense" set, with the deflector, shields, warp core and impulse engine.  I would like everyone's thoughts as to what they consider the best "offense" set.  My captain is flying a T5 Assault Cruiser. Thanks for all the replies!
You obviously haven't read the Iconian Set Bonuses, because it is the best offense set for beam/cannon builds due to them.
Torpboats and Exotics tend to use parts of other sets.
(03-07-2017, 04:31 AM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]You obviously haven't read the Iconian Set Bonuses, because it is the best offense set for beam/cannon builds due to them.
Torpboats and Exotics tend to use parts of other sets.

I obviously did not make myself clear....I am referring to weapons sets to equip on the ship. Sorry for any confusion.
There is no universal answer to that question. 
It comes down to what kind of build you have, what you want to achieve.
Does you build have a theme, next to "DPS"? 
Is there a weapon type you prefer?

"Weapon" Sets usually have an energy type weapon, a torp, and a console, and usually have some sorts of theme to it.
Then there are pure console sets, which come from 3-4 different ships. Some of those are ship exclusive, while others can be used on any ship. 

Example:
Personally I use a DPS/Tank Disruptor build.
Because of the Disruptors I can incorporate the Nausicaan / Entoiled Technology Set, which has Disruptor Beam, an unusual Disruptor based Torpedo, and a Console. Both the Console and the Set boosts Disruptor damage.
This works very well with the Terran Task Force Disruptor, too. The Trait Supercharged Weapons takes advantage of having a Torp. 
Before having Traits like Emergency Weapon Cycle and Supremacy I also had 2 pieces of another set:
The Assimilated Module console + Kinetic Cutting Beam. While the console by itself has some nice damage boosts, the real advantage here is the 2pc Set Bonus: when it procs it greatly reduces the weapon power cost (drain), keeping WP high, and thus keeping Weapon Damage high.
On top of that I have all 3 Flagships (I fly the Flambard) + the Krenim Science Vessel, which gives me access to all 4 consoles of the Flagship Set.
I only use 3 of those, but those are some of the best DPS console/Set bonuses to have.
(03-07-2017, 10:22 PM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]There is no universal answer to that question. 
It comes down to what kind of build you have, what you want to achieve.
Does you build have a theme, next to "DPS"? 
Is there a weapon type you prefer?

"Weapon" Sets usually have an energy type weapon, a torp, and a console, and usually have some sorts of theme to it.
Then there are pure console sets, which come from 3-4 different ships. Some of those are ship exclusive, while others can be used on any ship. 

Example:
Personally I use a DPS/Tank Disruptor build.
Because of the Disruptors I can incorporate the Nausicaan / Entoiled Technology Set, which has Disruptor Beam, an unusual Disruptor based Torpedo, and a Console. Both the Console and the Set boosts Disruptor damage.
This works very well with the Terran Task Force Disruptor, too. The Trait Supercharged Weapons takes advantage of having a Torp. 
Before having Traits like Emergency Weapon Cycle and Supremacy I also had 2 pieces of another set:
The Assimilated Module console + Kinetic Cutting Beam. While the console by itself has some nice damage boosts, the real advantage here is the 2pc Set Bonus: when it procs it greatly reduces the weapon power cost (drain), keeping WP high, and thus keeping Weapon Damage high.
On top of that I have all 3 Flagships (I fly the Flambard) + the Krenim Science Vessel, which gives me access to all 4 consoles of the Flagship Set.
I only use 3 of those, but those are some of the best DPS console/Set bonuses to have.
I'm favorable toward mines, torpedos, and beam weapons, if that helps.
(03-09-2017, 02:26 PM)roughrider1988 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm favorable toward mines, torpedos, and beam weapons, if that helps.

Not really. There have been several threads about Torps in this forum lately, there you will find lots of info on that part
I don't have any knowledge about mines, so either somebody else has to provide info on that, or you will have to do 
some research yourself for a change. The wiki is full of info, you just have to go there and look.
(03-09-2017, 03:19 PM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]Not really. There have been several threads about Torps in this forum lately, there you will find lots of info on that part
I don't have any knowledge about mines, so either somebody else has to provide info on that, or you will have to do 
some research yourself for a change. The wiki is full of info, you just have to go there and look.

I've seen the threads about torpedo builds but one thing wasn't clear..... are ALL weapon slots torpedos? If so, doesn't the slow recharge rates make them less than optimal?  My intention with this thread was to get multiple opinions from more experienced players, but i appreciate your replying.
(03-10-2017, 05:52 AM)roughrider1988 Wrote: [ -> ]I've seen the threads about torpedo builds but one thing wasn't clear..... are ALL weapon slots torpedos? If so, doesn't the slow recharge rates make them less than optimal?  My intention with this thread was to get multiple opinions from more experienced players, but i appreciate your replying.

Some are faster than others, i.e. Photons. And you usually also slot 2-3 Projectile Doffs to reduce the CD.
The long CD is to balance those weapons. They have the highest single damage output. Energy weapons only 
outperform them on several targets. 

Watch this video, he talks in lengths about torp builds, possible sets etc.
There are also some links in his notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otv695KjUM
(03-10-2017, 07:28 AM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]Some are faster than others, i.e. Photons. And you usually also slot 2-3 Projectile Doffs to reduce the CD.
The long CD is to balance those weapons. They have the highest single damage output. Energy weapons only 
outperform them on several targets. 

Watch this video, he talks in lengths about torp builds, possible sets etc.
There are also some links in his notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otv695KjUM

I will, thanks!