STO Academy Forum

Full Version: What is your "beam of choice" ( and why do you think it's better than the rest?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For me I would say a tie between chroniton (minus the rainbow beam color) antiproton- currently (even though I haven't had a chance to really test out the other beam variants too extensively yet....( speaking of the beam color, I wish there was a way that we could change the visual effects of our favorite beams and cannons in the same way that we can for our deflector dish & shields)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
My current beams of choice are Disruptors:
- Terran Task Force Disruptor (best beam in the game, period)
- Nausicaan Disruptor from the Entoiled Technology Set (has drain and hold effect, plus set bonus)
- and then either Coalition Disruptors for epic damage resistance debuff (unfortunately disruptor only)
or crafted Disruptor with [Pen] for a damage resistance debuff that benefits all weapons = the whole team (unless most have Disruptors)
Add Vulnerability Locators with [+Dis], and be happy.
Also mixes well with the Disruptor Torpedo from the Nausicaan Set.

Another great combination would be a Rainbow build:

- 1x Terran Task Force Disruptor (scaling Damage bonus)
- 1x Delphic AP Beam Array (adds CritH and CritD)
- 1x Herald AP Beam Array (adds damage bonus)
- 1x Chroniton AP Beam Array (gives Turn Rate, Flight Speed and Shield Hardness buffs to self)
- 1x Pulse Phase Beam Array (+10 DR to Self / - 10 DR to targets)
- Rest any mix of crafted Disruptor or crafted Antiprotons with [Pen] and any combination of [Dmg] and [CrtD]

Only works with [+beam] Locators/Exploiters (preferably Locators)

EDIT: Why only one of each of the beams listed? The TTFD is unique, and one weapon is enough to build up all stacks from the others.
Moved to STO Discussions - This is not a Poll

TacPaddy

Terran Task Force Disruptor Array (for the scaling Damage obviously), the Advanced Radiant Antiproton Beam (Iconian Resistance Rep) and then nothing but Tetryons. Why? Because all APs is just too mainstream. xD
(02-27-2017, 04:39 PM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]My current beams of choice are Disruptors:
- Terran Task Force Disruptor (best beam in the game, period)
- Nausicaan Disruptor from the Entoiled Technology Set (has drain and hold effect, plus set bonus)
- and then either Coalition Disruptors for epic damage resistance debuff (unfortunately disruptor only)
or crafted Disruptor with [Pen] for a damage resistance debuff that benefits all weapons = the whole team (unless most have Disruptors)
Add Vulnerability Locators with [+Dis], and be happy.
Also mixes well with the Disruptor Torpedo from the Nausicaan Set.

Another great combination would be a Rainbow build:

- 1x Terran Task Force Disruptor (scaling Damage bonus)
- 1x Delphic AP Beam Array (adds CritH and CritD)
- 1x Herald AP Beam Array (adds damage bonus)
- 1x Chroniton AP Beam Array (gives Turn Rate, Flight Speed and Shield Hardness buffs to self)
- 1x Pulse Phase Beam Array (+10 DR to Self / - 10 DR to targets)
- Rest any mix of crafted Disruptor or crafted Antiprotons with [Pen] and any combination of [Dmg] and [CrtD]

Only works with [+beam] Locators/Exploiters (preferably Locators)

EDIT: Why only one of each of the beams listed? The TTFD is unique, and one weapon is enough to build up all stacks from the others.
I think I'll experiment with that config! (Thankx for that info)

(02-27-2017, 05:26 PM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Terran Task Force Disruptor Array (for the scaling Damage obviously), the Advanced Radiant Antiproton Beam (Iconian Resistance Rep) and then nothing but Tetryons. Why? Because all APs is just too mainstream. xD
I've never thought to work with Tetryons....I might have to pull them out of my bank and one of my ships to try 'em out. Are they truly worth using? (I' really trying hard to finally decide on which beams to keep permanent in my favorite ship, so I dont waste the last of my Omega upgrades- unfortunately used alot of 'em on some of my AP beams....)

(02-27-2017, 06:22 PM)warrynnpeese0791 Wrote: [ -> ]I've never thought to work with Tetryons....I might have to pull them out of my bank and one of my ships to try 'em out. Are they truly worth using? (I' really trying hard to finally decide on which beams to keep permanent in my favorite ship, so I dont waste the last of my Omega upgrades- unfortunately used alot of 'em on some of my AP beams....)

Every weapon type is viable, some are just a little more potent than others. 
Tetryon weapons have a proc chance that does extra Shield Damage. Very nice as long as the target has shields, but
useless once they are gone. Useful when you want to get through the shields quickly, or on targets with lots of shields.
It's also a great team player weapon, as everybody benefits from quickly removed shields.
You decide how valuable that is to you.

As for Omega Upgrades: try not to use them on crafted or lobi weapons. These weapons usually have random modifiers, so you might end up with mods you do not like. Otherwise it is fine using them on rep weapons, or UR weapons (no more random mods after that) especially during an Upgrade weekend.
So for those people advocating for Tetryon weapons,  what is you balance with cannons/projectiles and what damage type you like to pair with it?
(02-27-2017, 07:25 PM)Filmmaster915 Wrote: [ -> ]So for those people advocating for Tetryon weapons,  what is you balance with cannons/projectiles and what damage type you like to pair with it?

One more thing about Tetryon: the proc is a shield drain, and IIRC is boosted by your Drain Expertise skill.
Builds with high drain expertise should get more damage out of these. This is why you will see them on some drain builds.

Usually you don't want more than one Torpedo on any Energy Weapon build, and only to get a Set bonus and/or to proc a trait.
Tetryons are more useful with the Tzenkethi due to their high shields than on other content, so I think they are a bit more desirable than in the past. Their buff does get boosted by Drain Expertise and like AP, there is a way to equip 2 omni beams since there's a set omni beam with Tetryon, and they have multiple consoles including Universals that buff Tetryon damage.
Pages: 1 2