STO Academy Forum

Full Version: is it good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
my best ship is the latest one i received free with my promotion to i suppose rear admiral.  at best i have some mark XII gear on it.  How can i tell if i'm good enough to do fleet missions?  I want to start doing some with other members of the fleet because I'm stalled in the episodes and all i'm doing is grinding New Romulus rep quests and R&D and duty officer missions. I don't have any money to spend on zen, and am not over endowed with dilithium so my options are limited in that regard.  Anyway, thanks for your replies.
You're ready. Just let the people you're doing the missions with that you're new and may need some guidance. We all started somewhere, whether we were ready or not. Heck I'm almost 7 years into this game and I still don't feel ready hahaha

The good thing is, as you do more missions you'll be able to buy better equipment to improve your ship.
good! then i should start queing for some fleet missions in the near future.  did a borg mission the other night and got totally wiped, so more experience will be valuable.
I would say use the STO Academy chat channel to find a fleet team. That way you can get directions and help from our members. If you use the queue you'll end up with strangers who might not be as kind as our members.
that is good advice. I definitely need more action than just the PvE stuff.
(12-23-2016, 04:44 AM)Attilio Wrote: [ -> ]I would say use the STO Academy chat channel to find a fleet team. That way you can get directions and help from our members. If you use the queue you'll end up with strangers who might not be as kind as our members.

Indeed, PUGs (pick-up groups) will generally be a free for all, and if you're put in a queue that's MOP (Massively Over Powered), they can leave other players going "uh, what just happened?" at the starting line.

During fleet events like the next Winter party or in the evening is generally the best time to find a fleet team. though even then it can take a few moments of calling to get a full count, especially for larger ques like crystalline catastrophe.
(12-23-2016, 02:25 AM)roughrider1988 Wrote: [ -> ]my best ship is the latest one i received free with my promotion to i suppose rear admiral.  at best i have some mark XII gear on it.  How can i tell if i'm good enough to do fleet missions?  I want to start doing some with other members of the fleet because I'm stalled in the episodes and all i'm doing is grinding New Romulus rep quests and R&D and duty officer missions. I don't have any money to spend on zen, and am not over endowed with dilithium so my options are limited in that regard.  Anyway, thanks for your replies.

Hi Roughrider, welcome to the fleet. As someone who has done many of these, I'd first recommend you to try out the runs (I'm assuming you're talking about STF ques and PVE missions) via the public servers first to get a feel for the missions, and then when you feel you've got an idea of what the format is, then go to the fleet chat. 

MK XII weapons depending on the type and rarity can be good enough for a good run, but realistically you'll need to get the to MK XIV to complete many of the missions which are more demanding. However having Mk XII weapons doesn't mean that you shouldn't join in at this stage. I suggest you try out the   following missions with the fleet:

ISA- Infected Space Advanced 

CCA- Crystalline catastrophe advanced ( if you can get enough people_ 

KSA- Khitomer Space Advanced ( harder, but with fleet Mk XII weapons should be ok) 

Have fun and good luck!
(12-26-2016, 07:19 PM)aaaict Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Roughrider, welcome to the fleet. As someone who has done many of these, I'd first recommend you to try out the runs (I'm assuming you're talking about STF ques and PVE missions) via the public servers first to get a feel for the missions, and then when you feel you've got an idea of what the format is, then go to the fleet chat. 

MK XII weapons depending on the type and rarity can be good enough for a good run, but realistically you'll need to get the to MK XIV to complete many of the missions which are more demanding. However having Mk XII weapons doesn't mean that you shouldn't join in at this stage. I suggest you try out the   following missions with the fleet:

ISA- Infected Space Advanced 

CCA- Crystalline catastrophe advanced ( if you can get enough people_ 

KSA- Khitomer Space Advanced ( harder, but with fleet Mk XII weapons should be ok) 

Have fun and good luck!

I'm assuming that MK XIV gear, aside from being insanely expensive in the exchange, is rewards on advanced and elite difficulty?  I'm stalled in the delta quad right now in the missions, because my ship is woefully underpowered it seems (wasted before i can even get an enemy ship below 95%) However, there is still much to do and these other missions are helping me slowly grind toward level 60, so all is not lost.  Still looking forward to joining in fleet missions as well.  Thanks for all your help in the forums, STOA fleet members are the best!