STO Academy Forum

Full Version: What if...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
... you rainbow weapons?

I know, I know, all red flags are shooting up right now, and the alarm is going off all over the STO universe.
Conventional STO wisdom says: stick with one weapon type, to get the max out of the Vulnerability Locator Consoles.

But bare with me for a second.

I was going through some of the ship builds at https://www.sto-league.com/ship-builds/, and next to the all weapons-same type builds (usually all disruptor due to the Terran Task Force Disruptor Beam Array) some actually mixed weapon types, i.e. this one: http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/0d3d7...9831c8720a

It seems that the Herald Antiproton Beam Array is so good (up to +21% damage buff), that going Vulnerability Locator [+Beam] instead of [+Weapon Type] is suddenly a viable option. Now you can mix your Weapon types without getting seriously punished for doing so.

My question is: why not throw the Experimental Romulan Plasma Beam Array (Epic Version) into the mix?
Like the Kinetic Cutting Beam it doesn't cost any weapon power, which has it's own advantages.
Yes, it doesn't get the nice modifiers ("only" +6% Crit Chance = CrtH3 instead), but I'm lacking experience and info to know how big of a difference that makes.
 (The 2-pc- Set bonus together with the Zero-Point Energy Conduit might help, too).

Of course you would need to find/buy a decent Herald AP Beam first, which might be the biggest problem.

Just a little theory crafting.

Also interesting: Advanced Radiant Antiproton Beam Array for the Team Buff
Edit: that last screenshot seems fake, I can't find it on the wiki...
I just found out that the build with the Herald is currently holding the DPS record @ 514k (didn't read the notes before).
Ok considering felesian's done this then it must be pretty decent. 

But this isn't mixing weapon types all that much, it largely consists of disruptor weapons, with the plasma for the single benefit it provides. This is very specialized and refined build, so unless you want to spend the time and effort it takes to get those weapons up to that standard. SO for most laymen, including people sub 100K (I can't find your @handel on the DPS league tables so I'm not sure where you sit) I would stick with the more conventional AP/ Disruptor single weapons type with +Ap or +beam VLs. 

BUT I don't trust the STO metal league and their DPS 'leading' parses out of pure principle of what they did in the past, knowing that 514K DPS is unlikely to have been reached with that build on its own or with any team resembling what you would get in a normal DPS channel run, numbers or metals alike.
There are the plasma disruptor hybrids you get early on in the game that could theoretically be upgraded to make the most out of using both plasma and disruptors on a [beam] console build. and with the buffs that are now available through special lockbox and lobi ship traits, crossing the streams isn't so much a big deal anymore.

I get what you mean aaaict, i've noticed that i can only do my best dps numbers with a team where we know each other's moves and methods rather than just pugging it or even dps channel pugs. my last couple of advancements to 50k all involved teaming up with Rev.
@aaaict: You won't find my @handle at the DPS league for a while, as my char is still fairly new, and my equipment just standard stuff. I am just searching for viable builds, and the theory behind them. It is one thing to tell me what the best things are, but I would also like to know why they are better, and by how much.

And after reading the same mantra 'do not mix weapon types or face doom' over and over again I was intrigued by Felesian's Semi-Hybrid [+beam] build as he (she?) not only made it work, but holds the record with it.
But why does it work? How does a single Herald AP Beam with a mere 2.5% proc chance for a damage boost make the difference, or is there a trick to get auto procs? Why not several Heralds? +21% damage boost does sound very nice, compared to the +4% per vulnerability console difference between [+beam] and [+weapon type]. But the proc has to build up quick, otherwise it only works on long fights.

I was also wondering if the Exp. Romulan Plasma Beam Array would add any value in this scenario, especially for someone who doesn't have all the bells and whistles consoles and traits (like me). Based on the 2nd mantra I read:
Power = DPS, and this weapon doesn't consume any.

As for Felesian's record, according to the build notes it is suggested to make some tweaks to it for record runs.
And I am totally aware that he needed a fleet of other DPS monsters behind him, and everything had to proc perfectly. There is not a single game where you can make records in PUGs (at least not record somebody would consider as positive).
Again, just theory crafting here, I don't have any ambition to follow Felesian's foot steps.
I won't find an affordable Herald AP w/ [pen] anyway. 

And from what I read the Plasma-Disruptors are really bad, as they lose modifiers for the plasma proc.
Corrosive Plasma does the hybrid thing much better (so I read Rolleyes ). The question there is if that is better then any crafted plasma with [pen].
(11-05-2016, 05:50 AM)Bhaltair Wrote: [ -> ]As for Felesian's record, according to the build notes it is suggested to make some tweaks to it for record runs.
And I am totally aware that he needed a fleet of other DPS monsters behind him, and everything had to proc perfectly. There is not a single game where you can make records in PUGs (at least not record somebody would consider as positive).
Again, just theory crafting here, I don't have any ambition to follow Felesian's foot steps.
I won't find an affordable Herald AP w/ [pen] anyway. 

And from what I read the Plasma-Disruptors are really bad, as they lose modifiers for the plasma proc.
Corrosive Plasma does the hybrid thing much better (so I read Rolleyes ). The question there is if that is better then any crafted plasma with [pen].

Couple of thing here, actually a number of people who are at the top end of the DPS spectrum, i.e. 100K+ have actually recorded their runs in PUGs because the lag is much much lower there then say doing it in a channel run. For example, when I'm trying to set a good parse I do my runs in 10 or 30K rather than the 50K channel. SO depending on your computer, IP, and team, you may want to give it a try.   (though in practice this will be much better if you have substantial DPS for this.) 

What makes Felicia's runs different is the use of the Recluse ships that have pets that can spam APB. (I suspect they are also using feedback pulse as well) Typically there are two of these in a run of ISA that the top people in the "metals" channel do and they massively debuff everything on a scale greater than any other ship as well as taking care of healing duties for that one ship. Therefore that DPS isn't anywhere near a true reflection of what that ship actually did on its own, or what it would do even in a regular channel run. So I'd take it with a pinch salt.
Outside sources always play a big factor. If you have an AP boat you take advantage of Disruptor debuffs from others.
I'm not that naive to think any of the Records are done without tweaking the team to benefit the ship trying to do the extreme record. That is part of record runs: you tweak everything possible, squeeze out every possible buff.
But the fact is that Felesian choose to use a hybrid weapon build instead of the pure weapon build, and I just would
like to know why, and how it worked. I'm not so concerned about the outside sources right now.