STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Mixing Tetryon Sub-types
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

eaglescoutdjb

When choosing energy types is it better to mix a couple of sub-types or use as many as you can fit?  I'm working on a drain/tank Tetryon build on the Mirror Vo'quv Carrier that will use the DBB and mines from the Nukara set and the omni from the Krenim set and I'm trying to figure out what will be the best weapons to use in the other 3 slots.  I'm leaning towards using Refracting Tetryon in all 3 slots to take full advantage of the 3 piece Nukara bonus but the sub-system disable from the Phased Tetryon or the damage from the dmgx3/crtd Advanced Fleet Tetryon sounds good too.

TacPaddy

Honestly, drop the idea all together. A DBB on a slow turning Carrier like the Mirror Vo'Quv is never a good choice. Speaking from personal experience, the 2pc-/3pc-Bonuses from the Nukara Appropriate Munitions Set are not worth the trouble. The Nukara Web Mines can be fun, though, IF you use them with Dispersal Pattern Beta 3 AND the Hot Pursuit Trait.

In your situation, I'd pair the Omnidirection Antichroniton Infused Tetryon Array with a crafted Omnidirectional Tetryon Beam Array. But that's just me. Wink

eaglescoutdjb

I'm using the JHDC which has a turn rate that's only 1 point better as a torp boat so I'm not too worried about that and the targeting arc of Tachyon Beam is only a little bit bigger than DBBs so I'll be keeping ships in that arc as much as possible anyway..  I was only going to use the Nukara mine as an experiment because I've never used mines and because the 3 piece set sounded nice if I used all Refracting Tetryon but I want the 2 part set for the Tetryon damage and DrainX boosts.  The boosts aren't huge but both apply to this build.  I've spent very little on this build so far because I'm still upgrading my torp boat but some how I got first place in a CCA with it already.

TacPaddy

(10-22-2016, 07:43 PM)eaglescoutdjb Wrote: [ -> ][...] and the targeting arc of Tachyon Beam is only a little bit bigger than DBBs so I'll be keeping ships in that arc as much as possible anyway.[...]
270° is only a little bigger than 90°? Interesting. Wink

(10-22-2016, 07:43 PM)eaglescoutdjb Wrote: [ -> ]I was only going to use the Nukara mine as an experiment because I've never used mines and because the 3 piece set sounded nice if I used all Refracting Tetryon but I want the 2 part set for the Tetryon damage and DrainX boosts.  The boosts aren't huge but both apply to this build.  I've spent very little on this build so far because I'm still upgrading my torp boat but some how I got first place in a CCA with it already.
Not actually sure, if they fixed it, but the Nukara Beam's refracting proc almost never triggered, that why I lost interest in it eventually. And the Tetryon Damage boost was too neglible too notice. Not sure about the draining boosts though.

Hm... I am so tired of all that DPS BS, that I might actually respec and return to using the Nukara Mines with DPB3 and Hot Pursuit. Always spamming eight moving homing-in Nukara Web Mines at a time used to be a lot of fun. And thinking of that, I might actually recomission my Recluse or JHDC as well. LOL.

eaglescoutdjb

(10-23-2016, 07:23 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]270° is only a little bigger than 90°? Interesting. Wink

Not actually sure, if they fixed it, but the Nukara Beam's refracting proc almost never triggered, that why I lost interest in it eventually. And the Tetryon Damage boost was too neglible too notice. Not sure about the draining boosts though.

Hm... I am so tired of all that DPS BS, that I might actually respec and return to using the Nukara Mines with DPB3 and Hot Pursuit. Always spamming eight moving homing-in Nukara Web Mines at a time used to be a lot of fun. And thinking of that, I might actually recomission my Recluse or JHDC as well. LOL.

Tachyon Beam's, not another Tetryon Beam Arrray, firing arc is 135 degrees and a DBB is 90 or an extra 22.5 degrees on each side so it's not that much bigger.

I'm tired of DPS builds too, that's why my DPS build is now a JHDC torp boat and this new build I'm working on will be a drain/tank instead of a threat tank.  While it's a little better with the new skill tree I do still need to do enough DPS to overcome the aggro being generated by people doing more DPS than me.  The console layout on the Mirror Vo'quv isn't ideal, only 3 science consoles means only 2 Embassy consoles since I'm using the Temporal Disentanglement Suite for increased Aux power and the CrtD and CrtH boosts based on aux power, but I like using ships and sets you don't see or hear people talk about much.  This is never going to be a high DPS ship but if I want to pull threat I need to get as high as I can within what I want to do with the ship.

TacPaddy

(10-23-2016, 12:49 PM)eaglescoutdjb Wrote: [ -> ]Tachyon Beam's, not another Tetryon Beam Arrray, firing arc is 135 degrees and a DBB is 90 or an extra 22.5 degrees on each side so it's not that much bigger.
Oops, my bad. I indeed read Tetryon not Tachyon for some reason.

(10-23-2016, 12:49 PM)eaglescoutdjb Wrote: [ -> ]I'm tired of DPS builds too, that's why my DPS build is now a JHDC torp boat and this new build I'm working on will be a drain/tank instead of a threat tank.  While it's a little better with the new skill tree I do still need to do enough DPS to overcome the aggro being generated by people doing more DPS than me.  The console layout on the Mirror Vo'quv isn't ideal, only 3 science consoles means only 2 Embassy consoles since I'm using the Temporal Disentanglement Suite for increased Aux power and the CrtD and CrtH boosts based on aux power, but I like using ships and sets you don't see or hear people talk about much.  This is never going to be a high DPS ship but if I want to pull threat I need to get as high as I can within what I want to do with the ship.
Indeed.

eaglescoutdjb

Back to the original question I posted, is it better to mix as many different energy sup-types as you can fit or just use 1 or 2 to increase the proc chance?  Dropping the mine because I don't have room to add a Dispersal Pattern so I have room for 4 more beams.  Phased Tetryon for the sub-system disable or Advanced Fleet for the damage seem like the best options to me.

The build this is for is never going to be a threat tank that's doing 100k or a drain ship you can take into PVP and shut people down with, that's not my goal.  My goal is to do enough damage to pull agro, use Energy SIphon and the Leech to keep my power levels high and use Tachyon Beam and my Tetryon weapons to get through shields faster so that my team mates and frigates are getting shots on the enemy hull faster.  My science abilities are all geared towards drain and my engineering abilities are all geared towards healing or increasing the strength of my heals and drains.
I never had a lot of luck with the refracting proc. For tetryons I like the resonating variety with the extra shield strip chance, I've got a set of those at UR XIV that work well. Also look into Destabilizing as they do a drain over time.

eaglescoutdjb

I hadn't looked at the Resonating Tetryon, I really like the higher proc chance and the set mods so that upgrading is easier.
Try piercing tetryon. It is a mission reward and you need to upgrade it because it came only as rare. I am using nukara rep refracting, piercing, destabilizing and fleet one on my battlecruiser.

Odoslané z môjho iPhone cez Tapatalk
Pages: 1 2