STO Academy Forum

Full Version: What is the deal with shields?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am doing some missions now in the Delta Quadron and every single combat against NPCs they are one hit killing my shields, what I need to do to keep my shields up? I am an engineer level 58, (Newbie, I have not played the game for 2 years) I have an assault cruise, the last free ship you get.

eaglescoutdjb

Can't figure out why you would be having trouble keeping your shields up, your build is way more defensive than anything I use or have recommended to other people.
My main problem is with the Borgs and the Vaudarn I think is how you write it, sorry I am away from the PC at home.

eaglescoutdjb

The Borg use tachyon beam to drain your shields, power insulators help but they still drain most of your shield.
Oh Ok, thanks, the other race use an attack against me yesterday where they use this "X" looking thing in the air around my ship and they explode almost wiping me out everytime.
The Vaadwaur will use tricobalt artillery assaults. They can only use one assault every 30 seconds or so - best thing I've used is to use Evasive Maneuvers and just get out of the area. Better than trying to soak the damage. Eventually you'll get to the point where you can just sit and take it, but if you're having a hard time with it, just get out of the area.
The Borg don't just use tachyon beam, they also have an inherent skill called Borg Shield Neutralizer, which can only be cleared off by using Hazard Emitters. The Spheres and Cubes love to use this one, so try running with Hazard Emitters and use that when you start to see your shields melt. It'll clear the drain debuff but you'll still need to restore the shields with Science Team, Transfer Shield Strength, EPtS, or RSP.
Great thank you guys for the information. I am trying to finish the Delta quadron quest chain, almost there I have like 6 more steps on it.