STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Cryptic
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,
      After reading Masamune's post about leaving the game due to cryptic making the JHSS more available, I have decided to create this thread to list the reasons why Cryptic has such an awful relationship with STO players and the community, and how they or we could attempt to ease this problem. This is not meant to be a rage thread ( there are plenty on the main STO forum), and I would like to hear from you guys, on what measures could be taken to improve the currently dire situation.

I think that there are 3 main reasons why players are fed up with cryptic, which I will go into in more detail.

1) Cryptic provides a product that has many problems. 

2) Cryptic does not make decisions that are popular with players , and hence, does not communicate with them on forums and the community well. 

3) Cryptic not balancing well between making a profit, and making players satisfied.
1) Cryptic provides a product that has many problems- what I mean by this is that not only do you have to grind a lot in STO, but the game frequently has bugs which sometimes means the game in unplayable. The most recent example was the severe rubber banding and lag after the anniversary update, and the subsequent 9 hour downtime. I had to wait 3 weeks for the mac client to be fixed to a playable standard, and it still has problems. 

In response to this issue, I would suggest that Cryptic should double check or the devs should actually have a good play through themselves before releasing new content, not just on tribble, but in the studio so that they can minimize disruptions, they also need to promptly respond to feedback, which nicely leads me on to my next problem...
2) cryptic has made very unpopular decisions and seem to not listen to players on the forums well. Notable instances of this are the Tau dewa fiasco and the lv 50-60 grind fest. Players have become quite annoyed, especially when the devs fail to respond adequately on the forums.

The simple solution to this is to set up a committee of community managers which consult the players via the forums on proposed updates or new content BEFORE they release the content. This would allow the players to voice their opinions, instead of having a massive outcry after the update when not too much can be done. This committee would have to monitor the forums for bug reports, suggestions, and quickly reply to these giving accurate and concise information that will console or satisfy those concerned instead of brief and 'apologetic' messages which give no updates or meaningful information on fixes or improvements. 
3) Cryptic not balancing well between making a profit, and making players satisfied.- We all know that Cryptic has to make money as a business. However the way that it has gone about it has make people angry. Examples include the tier 5U and 6 monetary costs, and having dilithium as the endgame currency that people are forced to grind for. Meanwhile Cryptic do not consult players enough on proposed changes which has led to all this anger. This effect is easy seen with a 50% reduction in the number of players joining the game between 2013-14 and 2014-15, which means a serious money problem for cryptic.

I recognize that cryptic has to make money, but I think they should go about it in a less provocative way that will cause less controversy, such as instead of nerving things or making you grind, making the experience better for players such as adding playable content that makes people want to play the game and not for grinding. 
I hope that eventually the situation will improve for all sides, and what do you guys think?

AAAICT
Thank you for your concern Jack Ryan, I might come back but not sure when. I just need to cool off my beef with Cryptic. I have invested time and money on my character it's hard to quit completely Big Grin .

Lerch2000

Biggest gripe I have and have always had with them, Is the communication or lack of I should say towards the players (ALL Players). I am aware that the number of tickets they get a day must be mind-boggling, (its what happens when you go free to play) The feeling I get when I turn in or try to report a bug is that they don't care (another bug lets sweep it under the rug) and that lovely reply we have all gotten "Everything is working as intended" gets old especially after you just turned in a ticket about a problem your having.

Starting to ramble, I'm sure you all get the gist. Smile
I for one do not spend any money on the game but. If more people like Masamune (people who spend a good amount of money)  stop playing and stop spending money I am sure cryptic would take notice. Until that actually happens nothing will change because cryptic is still making money. When it comes to the new Jem'Hadar ship, I am sure a lot of people are upset about it but based on the number of flybys I saw on my screen this morning, they are making a killing on the new ship.

Me personally, yes I have complaints about the game, things I would like to see fixed but but its not at the point where I am fed up and felt the need to quit.

Not sure where you got the numbers for this statement "This effect is easy seen with a 50% reduction in the number of players joining the game between 2013-14 and 2014-15" but I would be interested in seeing the game stats i.e. how many people actually play the game. I have tried google but only been able to find steam stats and that cant be used as a benchmark because not everyone goes through steam.

Anyway TL;DR If someone doesn't like a game don't spend money on it Big Grin . If enough people do this cryptic will notice
My biggest issue is the continuous changes.  I understand that things need to change over time and have no problem with that.  I'm talking about the times when they create something, then a week later change it because the "metrics" aren't coming out the way they want it.  There are so many instances of this with gear that it would be quicker to list items they didn't "nerf" a week after release than to list the things they did nerf.  The recent changes to patrols is another example of this.  They didn't like that everyone was doing Argala all day long so they changed the rewards and put a 30 minute clock on each patrol.  I didn't have a problem with that, but then they changed the rewards again a week later.   Now, that's a pain, but it's something I'll get used to.  Changing the way the equipment works though is a big problem because of the resources that go into making a build now.  Frankly, if I spend all the resources on making a console or weapon epic, and then they turn around and nerf it to uselessness, it's enough to make me think seriously about leaving the game.
(03-05-2015, 10:34 PM)Kenthend Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure where you got the numbers for this statement "This effect is easy seen with a 50% reduction in the number of players joining the game between 2013-14 and 2014-15" but I would be interested in seeing the game stats i.e. how many people actually play the game. I have tried google but only been able to find steam stats and that cant be used as a benchmark because not everyone goes through steam.

Hi Kethend,

I got this from the STO info grams in which in 2013, STO had 2 million captains, and in 2014 had 3.2 millon which is a 1.2 million increase. Meanwhile in 2015 there were 3.8 million captains, and increase of only 0.6 million which is half the increase of the 1.2 million from 2013-14.  Just search up STO info grams + the relevant year.

What I don't understand is why Cryptic seem to want you to grind constantly, sure it means you're in game but it kills the enjoyment, which is the whole point of the GAME. Also if people don't enjoy the game, then they won't get more purchases and hence more profit.