STO Academy Forum

Full Version: F2P vs Gold
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the vast majority of us playing use the "F2P" model so I wanted to start a thread about the benefits of going Gold in a simple layout.

What do you get for your $15 USD per month...

500 Zen
4 Character Slots ( unless you already purchased slots )
+ 30 Inventory Slots
+ 60 Bank Slots
+ 20 Account Bank Slots
+ 2 Boff Slots
1 Retain Token every rank ( Not Retroactive! )
EC cap increase
Foundry is fully unlocked ( 8 mission slots )
Can create a fleet ( F2P unlocks this after a week or so of play)

That's basically $50 - $110 worth of upgrades per character you actively play if you purchased it all from the Zen shop. If you're going to actively play all 4 characters that's actually not a half bad deal but if you're going to stick with one or two characters it loses it's value in 5-8 months. And if you plan on sticking around for two or more years the lifetime sub may be a better option.

Now... why post all of this? Simple, right now I'm testing to see what you keep when you Sub for a month then go back to playing for free. My sub ends in about a week and when it does I'll update this post.

TacPaddy

(10-03-2014, 06:49 PM)Whodat Wrote: [ -> ]Now... why post all of this? Simple, right now I'm testing to see what you keep when you Sub for a month then go back to playing for free. My sub ends in about a week and when it does I'll update this post.
That information will sure be helpful.

Btw, the limitation to Fleet creation can quickly circumvented. Silver players qualify instantly, if they have at least a balance of 1 ZEN. So "sacrifice" some refined Dilithium to buy one ZEN on the Dilithium Exchange to start a Fleet. Or spare yourself the trouble and simply join one of the STO Academy Fleets instead. Wink
For gold members, the energy credit cap rises quite significantly.

As a silver player, you are limited to 10million per character, as gold, it is 100 billion!

If your subscription runs out, you lose the cap. So be very wary of that. It is the one perk that is worth every cent if you buy it as a f2p player. If you buy anything in the game, get that
Chris if that list remains true today it's still easily $40+ worth of Zen upgrades per character all for $15 ( the price of 1 months subscription ). I just know allot may have changed so I'll still pop back here to update the "f2p vs gold" matrix after the 9th.

Jstagg, unfortunately I had already purchased the EC cap from the Zen shop before going gold so I wont be able to test one way or the other if you get to keep it. But I agree with you, if you never make another Zen purchase this one is worth having... and lets face it you can have 500 zen worth of refined dilithium within a month without batting a lash.
(10-03-2014, 08:50 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]If you have ever been a gold member, but become a free to play player, you get to keep:

4 Character Slots ( unless you already purchased slots )
+ 30 Inventory Slots
+ 60 Bank Slots
+ 20 Account Bank Slots
+ 2 Boff Slots

Ok my gold time wrapped up yesterday and everything Chris mentioned remains true today.

The things to really note are the respec tokens... if you level a character from 1-50 while Gold you get a total of 8 tokens. If your characters are already 50 when you go gold they're stuck with the 1 or 2 free tokens. Also the EC cap reverts to 10m the instant the Gold time wears off.

All in all it's a great value particularly for new players or players who haven't purchased many upgrades from the Zen shop. Heck if the only thing you're interested in is the account bank you still save 500zen AND get 500zen worth of extra's by going gold for a month rather than buying the slots, A la carte.

For the $15 I spent going gold for a month I received roughly 30000 zen worth of free upgrades account wide. If I hadn't already had level 50's on my account that actually would have gone up a bit.

Just food for thought for the thrifty members of our community.
Here is something else.  My primary account (@wewarren68) is Lifetime but I started a another F2P account (@esper68).  I found a STO Game Card on Amazon for $15, this is one of the old game cards that give 60 days of Gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-T...rek+online
(12-05-2014, 11:36 PM)wewarren68 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is something else.  My primary account (@wewarren68) is Lifetime but I started a another F2P account (@esper68).  I found a STO Game Card on Amazon for $15, this is one of the old game cards that give 60 days of Gold.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-T...rek+online

Awesome catch! Not sure why I didn't check Amazon for time cards. Did something similar with Rift about a year ago and that was an equally awesome cheap account wide upgrade.