STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Gear Upgrade information and stats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TacPaddy

Someone (not me) made a nice Spreadsheet about the actual costs of Upgrading:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

The file may take a moment to open. Enjoy.
(09-25-2014, 03:20 PM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]Someone (not me) made a nice Spreadsheet about the actual costs of Upgrading:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...edit#gid=0

The file may take a moment to open. Enjoy.
Oh the costs are disgusting!  That's why as soon as I get these materials straight to the exchange with them.  Also is anyone live right now?  Because I don't believe you can actually start upgrading yet.  I checked the release notes and there is no mention to the new system being put in place, I believe these are just prep items for Delta launch.

TacPaddy

It is in place and people have started to upgrade them.
(09-25-2014, 06:45 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Overall I think it's cheaper to upgrade, when you consider the time spent to get 500 Omega Marks
 Unless your like me and have over 5000 omega marks, haha!!
500 marks takes 4 runs of ISE assuming the optional. That takes about 30 minutes.
Cluster torp upgrades?! Finally. Now to decide which new ship to make into a torp boat.

TacPaddy

Afaik, you get them primarily from R&D Packs (C-Store) and R&D Mini-Packs (Lock Boxes). Sometimes you also get them off R&D Assistance DOFF Assignments from the Personnel Officer. And of course, the Exchange is also a source.
I don't think the others have an adjective, they're just Research accelerators. That said, having been doing a lot of upgrading, I can say, yeah, they've definitely shot up in price over the last week or so. Worth it with the Omegas, otherwise, I just throw more upgrades at the thing and hope I'll actually have any refined dilithium when all this is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, the rare research upgrades are pretty pricey.  I only use them when starting out with a MkII project since you get to use it for I think 5 upgrades (from MkII to MkVI I think).  Using that combined with an experimental upgrade almost guarantees at least one rarity upgrade in that case.  For upgrading rarity on something that is already Mk XII, I will sometimes use the uncommon research, but mostly, like Puckalish said, just use the very rare upgrade and hope for some luck.