STO Academy Forum

Full Version: PWE asks for input on Metagame issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not to sound too bitter...

At first glance it would seem almost smart of them to ask the players about the meta-game... but in all honesty they can take a look at what's broken on there own end very easily... hell I was able to look over what players were using on my modded Neverwinter Nights server and I'm basically computer illiterate. So with that in mind this is just a way to "look" like they're communicating with the player base.

They already know some of the "Aux to" abilities are out of balance. They know engineer consoles soft cap quickly with higher end parts. They know tactical consoles don't have a soft cap. They could make the changes without saying a word to us... other companies call it balancing and they do it without ever asking anyone anything.
I don't use AuxtoBat much because it doesn't really fit my style, but if your using a cruiser with only 3 tac boff slots, it's pretty much the only way to be even remotely competitive so if they do nerf auxtobat they will need to compensate with something else, or those ships will become useless. Have to agree with the min of 3 tac consoles too. It's just a fact of sto that you need to put out dps regardless of what ship or career you are playing. I've tried using ships with less than 3 tac consoles and have essentially felt like I was shooting a .22 while everyone else was firing howitzers. Have to agree with Whodat though. They already know whats working and what isn't. I expect their asking for input is just a pr move to try to make up for Al Rivera's recent statement that the forums were just a bunch of crybabies (paraphrasing here, those weren't his exact words).
They need to review their own data so they don't fix problems a vocal minority are raising, at the same time. You don't want to introduce bias because the only people who speak up are talking about the wrong solutions.
(08-08-2014, 07:14 PM)martinison Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use AuxtoBat much because it doesn't really fit my style, but if your using a cruiser with only 3 tac boff slots, it's pretty much the only way to be even remotely competitive so if they do nerf auxtobat they will need to compensate with something else, or those ships will become useless. Have to agree with the min of 3 tac consoles too. It's just a fact of sto that you need to put out dps regardless of what ship or career you are playing. I've tried using ships with less than 3 tac consoles and have essentially felt like I was shooting a .22 while everyone else was firing howitzers. Have to agree with Whodat though. They already know whats working and what isn't. I expect their asking for input is just a pr move to try to make up for Al Rivera's recent statement that the forums were just a bunch of crybabies (paraphrasing here, those weren't his exact words).

I think we all know that it is just pr after what happened. I mean they will get the same thing you can see on pretty much every forum: nerf this, boost that, correct this bug. No one will reinvent the warpcore. and it's all things that people have talked and talk, but that cryptic doesn't seem to listen to - a lot of time.  What really bugs me is that it's Jeff Hamilton who's doing it. Great guy, but it's not his job. It should be the community manager/moderator who should have gather that and transmitted the info, and they should have been doing it for a while now. I see Hamilton spending a lot of time answering players questions, which I appreciate but make me wonder what the community manager role are. ( I miss Branflake!!!) 

robonixon
Quote:They need to review their own data so they don't fix problems a vocal minority are raising, at the same time. You don't want to introduce bias because the only people who speak up are talking about the wrong solutions.

Sorry Beardy, it isn't that simple. That would mean that they have a tool to gather/filter/analyse the data AND know how to interpret the number. if there are too many bfaw build in the sample, it will looked like it's OP , but maybe it's just the number of ship. And i doubt they have time to build and try every configurations Sad  . 

As and example,  if everyone has TT it doesn't mean it need to be modified, just that it's popular. But some people like it for the shield effect, some for the damage and some to clean up borg from your deck. I use it for all 3 but I read a lot people who seems to only use it for one situation. could it be consider OP ? yes.  it is abused? in some build. Should it be nerfed? depends on the player and how it is seen. Most people I read say that Acetone Beam is under power, yet i keep hearing player complaining about my use of it! So IMO getting multiple view point like they are getting is a nice idea to counter bias... if they read them, and go back to reading the community comment once in a while to know if something got out of control. 
It is that simple assuming they have valid testing tools and the right data. This of course is an assumption on my part which I will admit is probably not valid Smile
While I agree, tracking abilities and sorting data in games isn't as simple as flipping a switch. You can be sure they already have sniffers written. When you pull the data in then parse it and see that out of 100 ship types 93 of them have the same three abilities and all of them avoid these 3 abilities. You can tell there's an issue, then you add to the parse to track when abilities are being used and it paints a clear picture of what's happening. And if they're using a common core of abilities while ignoring 3/4's of the other abilities something is broken. Your typical gamer is a min maxer... 
When an incentive structure is created which rewards min-maxing, then of course people will gravitate towards it. Right now the issue is that not enough variety allows for "winning" the DPS game. The key is looking into the data not just at one or two skills but how they interplay across multiple strategies to allow viability.
(08-09-2014, 01:46 PM)robonixon Wrote: [ -> ]When an incentive structure is created which rewards min-maxing, then of course people will gravitate towards it. Right now the issue is that not enough variety allows for "winning" the DPS game. The key is looking into the data not just at one or two skills but how they interplay across multiple strategies to allow viability.

I agree, but it,s in cryptic forum you need to say it Smile 
The thing i wonder is,  how could they fix it ? 
(08-09-2014, 05:58 PM)eagl17 Wrote: [ -> ]I agree, but it,s in cryptic forum you need to say it Smile 
The thing i wonder is,  how could they fix it ? 

That's where I see the biggest problem... without reworking the whole system ( healing, dps, tanking ) there really is no fix. The actual issue is with how damage mitigation is handled and the fact everyone has access to (basically) every ability. As it stands damage has no top end cap so the more buffs you stack the harder you hit... where as damage resistance doesn't scale at nearly as good of a rate.

That's done on purpose though, otherwise you end up with tanks that simply can't be killed and healers that out heal damage. You end up with boss fights that need scripted gimmick mechanics to pose a challenge. And this is a purely tank and spank game.