STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Fleet warp cores - Mine v Spire
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'll soon be in a position to get a Fleet warp core, but on I'm not sure whether to go for a Mine or Spire core. There are modifier combinations available on both that I'd be happy with, so it really comes down to the choice between Reinforced/Hypercharged from the Mine or Plasma-Integrated from the Spire. Does anyone have any views on the relative merits of the options?
The game ultimate question : what core to choose. I have just starting to use the plasma integrated, but on an energy intensive build (using BFAW) I found it quite useful. I know there are 2 school of thinking on this has you sacrifice some nice feature for the energy regeneration.
To make a choice I would have to ask you this 1) have you tried both (in non fleet models) and 2) what ship/build do you want to use it on?
This is the build I'm aiming for:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?buil...pcore_5844

I have everything on there except the vulnerability locators and the flow cap console. With Aux2Batt going and the plasmonic leech, my engine and shield power is often above 100 already, so I'm not sure I need the bonuses from the mine cores. My thinking is that the power regen from the spire core would help keep my weapon power even higher and regen my aux power faster when Aux2Batt drops.
(04-06-2014, 12:06 PM)Dafmeister Wrote: [ -> ]This is the build I'm aiming for:

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?buil...pcore_5844

I have everything on there except the vulnerability locators and the flow cap console. With Aux2Batt going and the plasmonic leech, my engine and shield power is often above 100 already, so I'm not sure I need the bonuses from the mine cores. My thinking is that the power regen from the spire core would help keep my weapon power even higher and regen my aux power faster when Aux2Batt drops.
well if your power rarely drop below 100, you might not have a use for the plasma inducted ones. try looking more for something that will raised your weapon or shield energy cap . i believe the mine ones offer more choice in that matter
I think it comes down to which modifiers I want out of the core. Unfortunately there isn't one that gives an increase to max weapon power, or I'd go for it in a heartbeat. As it is, in terms of type I think it comes down to either Reinforced (bonus shield power and max, plus bonus Aux power to help the Aux2Batt [I won't get close to 125 Aux power, let alone 130]) or Plasma-Integrated for the power level resistance and quicker regeneration to help with weapon power drain. I don't particularly want more engine power, so no need for hyper-charged.

Then there's the five modifiers:

Skill Bonus - I'm running [Eff] at the moment, but I don't know if it's doing much for me at the levels of shield and engine power I'm getting. I've no interest in [Coi] or [Batt] - I don't use batteries much at all and I have a second core I use in sector space along with some Mk X subtranswarp engines for extra warp speed. I don't think I need [Rep] but a straight [SEP] bonus could be handy, as would [EPS] for recovering from full impulse and boosting EPtS1 and EPtW3.

Power Bonus - I definitely want WArrow something as weapon is my highest power level. My current core has WArrowE but I was thinking about going WArrowA for an extra boost to Aux2Batt. WArrowS would also be good.

Capacitor - Don't care all that much.

Transwarp/Slipstream - Again, don't care much as I won't be using the core in sector space anyway.

[AMP]/[EWS] - Definitely want [AMP]

If I want [AMP] and [WArrowA] then I've got to go for a Plasma-Integrated core, there isn't a Reinforced core with those mods and I don't want Hyper-Charged. If I want to go Reinforced and have [AMP] then I'd have to go for [WArrowS] with either [SEP] and [SCap] or [EPS] and [ECap].
until i get the fleet credits im using this warp core this build is sold as a rock,
i can tank the voth ship easy as pie
http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=avenger_993

i edited build dontdrunkimshoot so all thanks goes to him Big Grin that warp core is great for aux2bat builds