STO Academy Forum

Full Version: Idea for builder - Assign captains to ships?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Saw in the new builder blog that traits are coming down the pipe. Very cool Smile

Got me thinking, instead of having to update all my builds with captain traits, or doing the same thing with skills if I respec, would it be possible you 'create a captain', input his trained skill sets and traits, ground gear and reputation skills etc, then save him.

Then when you create a ship build you assign a captain to that ship.
Visitors see what we see currently, but at build time you see an option to choose captain from a list.

Then, if I respec traits or skills, alter ground gear or new reputation skills come out etc, and update my captain, it updates across all ship builds that the captain is assigned to.
A bit of work but would make upkeep easier.

Of course people not logged in making builds wouldn't have the captain save option, one captain per ship for them as it currently is.
That's an amazing idea! It'll be a lot of work to implement though because of the way the skill planner is currently built.

I'm going to need to think this one over. It might actually be easier than I think (or harder hahaha). I'll add it to the upcoming updates list and find some time to work on it.
Yeah I figured it'd be a bit of work (lol sorry). On the other hand it'll make multiple ship builds easy to update if doing captain alterations, and as a side effect, maybe lower database footprint? (dunno if that's an issue for you)
Thankfully that's not an issue. Anything that makes the skill planner better is worth doing.
I was very confused about what you were describing at first. I think it might be better to simply call it what it is: a Skills Template. Creating pre-made templates to apply to a ship is a great idea!
(02-07-2014, 05:39 PM)rodentmaster Wrote: [ -> ]I was very confused about what you were describing at first. I think it might be better to simply call it what it is: a Skills Template. Creating pre-made templates to apply to a ship is a great idea!
It's probably more like a captain template because it wouldn't be just skills. It could be for the skill tree, reputation, traits, ground equipment and other things that are usually common to a captain and rarely change.
Bump

With new traits system, would be the perfect time to do something along these lines? Wink

Also, you're still needing the 6 non-rep trait slots and associated options.

TacPaddy

While I agree that a Captain's Template would be awesome, there is an easy way to achieve the same goal. Just create a new build, but do not choose a Ship. Set up your skills, your Captain, your traits, etc and save it as Username_template but don't share it. Then when you want to create a new build, you load that template, pick a Ship and save under a new name. Deal done. Wink
(04-28-2014, 06:33 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]While I agree that a Captain's Template would be awesome, there is an easy way to achieve the same goal. Just create a new build, but do not choose a Ship. Set up your skills, your Captain, your traits, etc and save it as Username_template but don't share it. Then when you want to create a new build, you load that template, pick a Ship and save under a new name. Deal done. Wink

<3

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
(04-28-2014, 06:33 AM)TacPaddy Wrote: [ -> ]While I agree that a Captain's Template would be awesome, there is an easy way to achieve the same goal. Just create a new build, but do not choose a Ship. Set up your skills, your Captain, your traits, etc and save it as Username_template but don't share it. Then when you want to create a new build, you load that template, pick a Ship and save under a new name. Deal done. Wink
Yeah but that doesn't help update all of your existing builds. Which is the main point of what's been suggested.
Granted it's murkier now that traits can be changed willy nilly (just keep those per ship build perhaps or just ground traits on the captain template).

Certainly for captain skills, boffs and ground gear, if you alter those on one the rest are now all out of date. If you can have builds all pull the captain details from a 'captain template' then if you update the captain template, the rest of your builds using that captain then reflect the new setup.

Doing your way would mean redoing all of the ship side stuff in each already existing build and re saving them. Just as much work really.
Pages: 1 2