Best game pad or joystick for STO on PC.
Looking for opinions on the success of using game pads or joy stick in STO on PC platform. What are you using and how well does it work for ground and space?

I use a macro Keyboard and mouse - though only macro set up is continuous pressing of space bar. I have set up keybinds for boff abilities. I can not imagine a controller/joystick being very effective - but I guess I do not know until i try it.

(09-14-2017, 04:22 PM)Trudard Wrote: I use a macro Keyboard and mouse - though only macro set up is continuous pressing of space bar. I have set up keybinds for boff abilities. I can not imagine a controller/joystick being very effective - but I guess I do not know until i try it.

I have heard because of the multitude of actions available to a player that it's not a feasible option. That's my purpose in this post. I am curious if any one has found a reasonable solution. I am doing fine with a keyboard/mouse set-up but there are times I with for the control a joy stick would give.

Honestly with the amount of options there are etc there is very little point. People have coded for the xbox controller and I'm not sure they totally loved it.

That's why for console they completely re-designed the UI
When I started playing STO, I simply could not handle using just the keyboard for play. Having come from playing flight simulators, the use of a joystick was a necessity for me and learning how to keybind whole rows to activate at the touch of a single key was a saving grace for my early days and kept me from giving up. Ive since moved onto only occasionally using the joystick for space ops, but it sure did give me an edge on maneuvers that others struggle with using the "traditional" keyboard setup.

You can use pretty much any ol joystick for your flight functions. just have to assign the keys how you want them in the keybinds section of your options menu. Then when you figure out the FES Keybinding program*, you can also assign whole row binds to the joystick buttons.

Here is a Joystick key decipher I made after looking into the various xbox gaming controller labels that are in the FES program. You just have to know what each button's label is for your specific model.

Joy12 = XBOX Contr [Y button]
Joy11 = XBOX Contr [X button]
Joy1 = XBOX Contr [Start]
Joy8 = XBOX Contr [R trigger]
Rstick_up = XBOX Contr [R stick up]
Rstick_right = XBOX Contr [R stick right]
Rstick_left = XBOX Contr [R stick left]
Rstick_down = XBOX Contr [R stick down]
Joy6 = XBOX Contr [R bumper]
Joy4 = XBOX Contr [R thumb depress]
Joypad_up = XBOX Contr [pad up]
Joypad_right = XBOX Contr [Pad right]
Joypad_left = XBOX Contr [Pad left]
Joypad_down = XBOX Contr [Pad down]
Joy7 = XBOX Contr [L trigger]
Lstick_up = XBOX Contr [L stick up]
Lstick_right = XBOX Contr [L stick Right]
Lstick_left = XBOX Contr [L stick Left]
Lstick_down = XBOX Contr [L stick down]
Joy5 = XBOX Contr [L Bumper]
Joy3 = XBOX Contr [L thumb depress]
Joy2 = XBOX Contr [Back]
Joy10 = XBOX Contr [B button]
Joy9 = XBOX Contr [A button]

* NOTE: the Federation Emergency Services website has expired, but the program itself and several youtube how-to's are still available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]
(09-18-2017, 07:11 PM)Akimalyn2380 Wrote: When I started playing STO, I simply could not handle using just the keyboard for play. Having come from playing flight simulators, the use of a joystick was a necessity for me and learning how to keybind whole rows to activate at the touch of a single key was a saving grace for my early days and kept me from giving up. Ive since moved onto only occasionally using the joystick for space ops, but it sure did give me an edge on maneuvers that others struggle with using the "traditional" keyboard setup.

You can use pretty much any ol joystick for your flight functions. just have to assign the keys how you want them in the keybinds section of your options menu. Then when you figure out the FES Keybinding program*, you can also assign whole row binds to the joystick buttons.

Here is a Joystick key decipher I made after looking into the various xbox gaming controller labels that are in the FES program. You just have to know what each button's label is for your specific model.

Joy12 = XBOX Contr [Y button]
Joy11 = XBOX Contr [X button]
Joy1 = XBOX Contr [Start]
Joy8 = XBOX Contr [R trigger]
Rstick_up = XBOX Contr [R stick up]
Rstick_right = XBOX Contr [R stick right]
Rstick_left = XBOX Contr [R stick left]
Rstick_down = XBOX Contr [R stick down]
Joy6 = XBOX Contr [R bumper]
Joy4 = XBOX Contr [R thumb depress]
Joypad_up = XBOX Contr [pad up]
Joypad_right = XBOX Contr [Pad right]
Joypad_left = XBOX Contr [Pad left]
Joypad_down = XBOX Contr [Pad down]
Joy7 = XBOX Contr [L trigger]
Lstick_up = XBOX Contr [L stick up]
Lstick_right = XBOX Contr [L stick Right]
Lstick_left = XBOX Contr [L stick Left]
Lstick_down = XBOX Contr [L stick down]
Joy5 = XBOX Contr [L Bumper]
Joy3 = XBOX Contr [L thumb depress]
Joy2 = XBOX Contr [Back]
Joy10 = XBOX Contr [B button]
Joy9 = XBOX Contr [A button]

* NOTE: the Federation Emergency Services website has expired, but the program itself and several youtube how-to's are still available here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/sto-keybind/
I appreciate the help but I am playing on a pc not an xbox so this mapping is just confusing to me. lol. I have a Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick. Do you have any info on how to configure this? Big Grin

I'm only on PC too and use an old Microsoft Sidewinder. you can get the basic setup done under that little cog on the minimap and scroll to the right a few tabs to get to the keybinds section. The first column is for the keyboard and the second column is for your joystick or gamepad. to get the names of each joystick button, you can just pick a command that doesn't yet have an assignment and keep clicking through the joystick's buttons to get the names.
There are several other resources that have gone into detail about using joysticks:
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Joystick_control_setup
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?576...ks-for-STO

it may also be easier to just hold the left and right buttons of your mouse down at the same time for omnidirectional steering like a joystick... some people also use an xbox controller on the PC too since its a plug and play usb device.
(09-18-2017, 11:52 PM)Akimalyn2380 Wrote: I'm only on PC too and use an old Microsoft Sidewinder. you can get the basic setup done under that little cog on the minimap and scroll to the right a few tabs to get to the keybinds section. The first column is for the keyboard and the second column is for your joystick or gamepad. to get the names of each joystick button, you can just pick a command that doesn't yet have an assignment and keep clicking through the joystick's buttons to get the names.
There are several other resources that have gone into detail about using joysticks:
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Joystick_control_setup
https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php?576...ks-for-STO

it may also be easier to just hold the left and right buttons of your mouse down at the same time for omnidirectional steering like a joystick... some people also use an xbox controller on the PC too since its a plug and play usb device.

Cool. I will look it that. I have a Sidewinder as well. How does that work?

Well, I never could get the throttle lever to work as a throttle lever... the game simply isn't coded for it to work as a variable lever, only as an on/off button. but damn i could fly circles around my enemies and track a bead on them better than most teammates in a PUG lol
(09-18-2017, 11:58 PM)Akimalyn2380 Wrote: Well, I never could get the throttle lever to work as a throttle lever... the game simply isn't coded for it to work as a variable lever, only as an on/off button. but damn i could fly circles around my enemies and track a bead on them better than most teammates in a PUG lol

Thats the same problem I have with all the joy sticks I have tried. Guess we just have to live with that. Seems with all they put into this game it would be more joy stick and game pad friendly. Lol.