New character episode?
I got a bug of an idea for S.T.O., Cryptic Studios, or for whom ever is writing the new episodes.  

1. Is there a way, to start the characters at the Academy as an undesignated cadet and doing classroom task in all areas and after taking a test then prompted to Ensign. I was thinking of 6 to 10 missions in all areas of what ship board life was like. For example, doing a couple of missions in Engineering in doing things like EPS replacement, and then doing the same while combat was active, in the Holodeck for safety reasons. This could be done the same for Medical, Science, and Tactical. this could be done for both ground and then space. Then move up at doing some Leadership skills and the introduction of Diplomacy. Once completed, then taking a test. Not a pass or fail, but another way creating a character. Here is want you are good at and this is not for you, type of test, and where the person is giving the last say. Doing all of this before taking the graduation cruise. Then have the character working in their receptive areas, doing task as a junior officer, for a mission or two, before being given command of the first ship.

2. I ask this because even through I have 6 characters and 3 are between the levels of 40 and 60 and started another new lvl 1 character, what about the next new person that comes along? Or of a person whom wants get out of building the same type of character? If a person does do this Academy episode, then the rewards could be a bonus of 5 to 10 percent bonus over what a character who does not go thru. At the upper levels of 40 to 60, give a chance to 5 to 10 percent to a rarity upgrade. 

I am asking because when I first started I kept hearing "do your missions", "keep the best and get rid of the junk" and "once you completed the missions then think about the DPS". I have seen a lot of videos on you tube about this also and most of the are for people or characters of lvl 50 60 going to the ISA and the DPS kills. I really don't see but a couple of videos for the beginner. 

Could this type of episode be a reality? if so, whom do I need to pitch to to?
Is that not what the tutorial is for though...?

Plus if you make a new character you can skip the tutorial if you've already done it before!
The tutorial is very short and only tells how to shot. I was thinking along the lines of a long drawn out with missions of it own. To really teach the different classes and such. A whole new episode not the 30 minute wonder.
(08-27-2017, 06:17 PM)cj68c Wrote: The tutorial is very short and only tells how to shot. I was thinking along the lines of a long drawn out with missions of it own. To really teach the different classes and such. A whole new episode not the 30 minute wonder.

The tutorial is there to teach you the basics of the game, the rest you learn by levelling and playing everything!

30 minutes is usually longer than most of the episode's actual play time anyway.

If we were taught every facet of the game at the very beginning, I reckon it wouldn't be as fun for a lot of people - it would take out all the learning and development elements throughout the entire game.
(08-27-2017, 06:21 PM)James Wrote: The tutorial is there to teach you the basics of the game, the rest you learn by levelling and playing everything!

30 minutes is usually longer than most of the episode's actual play time anyway.

If we were taught every facet of the game at the very beginning, I reckon it wouldn't be as fun for a lot of people - it would take out all the learning and development elements throughout the entire game.

I agree for me the enjoyment of the game comes out of leveling! It's what taught me how to play the game and though I'm far from an expert it's that part that makes the missions worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 Â
This question is actually quite common, and i think it was discussed before on one of their podcasts long ago. The team had several options they could have went with for a starter arc, but decided to start where they did in leau of loosing the interest of a new account holder with it being drawn out like that. 

Apparently they underestimated how popular the Starfleet and Klingon Academy Games were before STO was conceived by Atari. I certainly would have liked it if they bought those rights and other predecessors and rebooted them as lead-ins to the STO starter arcs... hmm, I wonder if someone could DIY them in the Foundry?

Just had another thought: all those Path to 2409 "homework" lore side projects we can get at the academy could have been done as holo-recreations, like Riker on the NX-01 or Janeway on the Excelsior... would've been better than the book approach!
[Image: akimalyn2380_13732.jpg?d=1486457680]